Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Car rides during Covid

I know that this question was recently asked, but it had to do with some of the people being vaccinated. What are your thoughts on no one in the car being vaccinated yet (two pre-teens, one adult), for a 5-10 minute drive to drop a friend off? Since m family has all been home for work/school this entire year and have not had any visitors in our house (or cars), small enclosed places with others will make me uneasy for quite awhile! I was asked if I could drive one of my girl scouts home after our meeting tonight as the parent has to pick up her other child up at sports practice at the same time. If it was me, I would just pick the girl up 15 minutes early. But This family has been working/in school the entire year so their comfort level is much different than mine! I’m thinking masks on and windows open for a short drive shouldn’t make me worried, right? DH would roll his eyes at me, but I just keep thinking we just need to keep safe a little while longer (he and I are actually going for our first dose of vaccines tomorrow and it would be awesome if both the girls are able to get shots this summer!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm not driving anyone extra in our car yet.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

With the new variants having others in my car would make me nervous. I have driven other people’s kids twice since Covid started. Once last summer and once in October. everyone was masked, front windows open.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    With the new variants having others in my car would make me nervous. I have driven other people’s kids twice since Covid started. Once last summer and once in October. everyone was masked, front windows open.
    Our school has been hit *hard* by the UK variant in the last week. School just went virtual to try and slow things down.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Totally aside from what I'd do (but I think I'd be OK in this particular instance - less than 15 minute ride, everyone masked, and open windows are all the mitigation measures we can take right now), I would check to see if your GS council's Covid policies for in-person troop meetings would prohibit this kind of carpooling.

My council doesn't explicitly prohibit this (see their guidance for volunteers document), but it does strongly recommend that carpooling and public transit is avoided for troop activities, meetings, and trips/outings at the present time.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No, I would not.

However, I would be willing to stay late with the scout until the parent could get there, if it was a reasonable amount of time.

Thought a bit more and I would probably do it as a one off.

Ok, so good to know I am not the only one that isn’t comfortable with this! I may feel differently if I knew the family was secluding more (like some of their friends who are also schooling from home and limiting activities), but in this particular family the kids are both in school and doing sports and parents both working, one in a variety of schools and the other in a medical office.

When the school district had asked a month ago about cyber kids taking state tests, I said mine would go in ( cyber kids will be kept in a separate room from other students, masks and spacing, and I’ll drop them off and pick them up when they are done in the morning, so no eating at school). With the variants now spreading more, I am second guessing that choice too.....

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Totally aside from what I'd do (but I think I'd be OK in this particular instance - less than 15 minute ride, everyone masked, and open windows are all the mitigation measures we can take right now), I would check to see if your GS council's Covid policies for in-person troop meetings would prohibit this kind of carpooling.

My council doesn't explicitly prohibit this (see their guidance for volunteers document), but it does strongly recommend that carpooling and public transit is avoided for troop activities, meetings, and trips/outings at the present time.
    Our council is pretty much the same (though I don’t think they have updated their guidance since last fall), which is why we have not done any trips yet this year.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Our school has been hit *hard* by the UK variant in the last week. School just went virtual to try and slow things down.
    Yes, our school has asked families not to get together indoors or to carpool. We are only getting together outside and not sharing indoor spaces. I wouldn’t carpool now. We are in the minority though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast