Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My sleep Dr told me that if I wake up in the middle of the night to change locations and then read the dictionary. Something your brain finds boring. I've never tried it though-- I just toss and turn in bed. Ha ha.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    My sleep Dr told me that if I wake up in the middle of the night to change locations and then read the dictionary. Something your brain finds boring. I've never tried it though-- I just toss and turn in bed. Ha ha.
    I haven't owned a dictionary in about 15!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gracemom View Post
    I’ve been waking up at 2 am. I listen to a podcast I’ve already listened to on low volume. I make sure not to look at a screen and keep my eyes closed. And since I’ve already heard it I don’t feel compelled to listen attentively. I’m usually back asleep in 10 min.
    I'm not the only one! I also start a podcast I've either listened to or one I don't care about too much to zone out and fall asleep. I'm back asleep within 5-10 minutes.

When I've been in real ruts and my stress is high, I use the sleep or nighttime SOS meditation on Headspace. That app isn't super cheap but I can't tell you the benefit both my kids and I have gotten from it.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    I'm not the only one! I also start a podcast I've either listened to or one I don't care about too much to zone out and fall asleep. I'm back asleep within 5-10 minutes.

When I've been in real ruts and my stress is high, I use the sleep or nighttime SOS meditation on Headspace. That app isn't super cheap but I can't tell you the benefit both my kids and I have gotten from it.
    The Calm app is good too. There are some sleep stories that are helpful.

I know most people want to avoid screens when trying to fall asleep/back to sleep, but a few times I’ve put on the glassblowing show Blown Away on Netflix and it lulls me right to sleep.

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This doesn't fall under the category of a technique, but have you tried melatonin? I have a friend who was dealing with the same issue of being unable to fall back asleep, and her doctor recommended melatonin. She said she always thought it was for people who were having trouble falling asleep at the start of the night, and didn't think about it in terms of helping her STAY asleep. But it has worked very well for her.
    #BidenHarris2020 “It’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids character matters. It matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.”

I like to use guided meditation to fall asleep. This is a favorite - free on prime (there's lots to choose from though)
    https://watch.amazon.com/detail?gti=...share_mv&r=web

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    The Calm app is good too. There are some sleep stories that are helpful.

I know most people want to avoid screens when trying to fall asleep/back to sleep, but a few times I’ve put on the glassblowing show Blown Away on Netflix and it lulls me right to sleep.
    I use the Calm app as well. I usually put on some sleep music and set the timer for 20 minutes. I'm almost always asleep before the music stops. The sleep stories are good too.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I usually listen to audiobooks if I wake in the night and need help. I wear AirPods so it doesn’t bother DH. Before I had those I would put my cheaply wired earbuds under my pillow. I’m a side sleeper so that worked. I’ve heard meditations are good too and have a friend who says even if she doesn’t fall back to sleep she feels more rested by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The only thing that works for me is to concentrate on my breathing. In-2-3-4. Out-2-3-4. Repeat. If other things try to intrude, I try to kick them out and just concentrate on my breathing. Even that doesn't always help, but usually I'll fall back asleep after a bit. But, yeah, the "It's almost time to get up but not quite" wake up are the worst! If it's the middle of the night, there are a ton of things that will get me back to sleep and if I run out of other things, getting up & reading for half an hour will usually do it. But that 1 hour before my alarm, where my brain just keeps saying "But if you do that you'll only have 22 minutes before the alarm will go off," yeah that one sucks.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you so much all! There's a lot of options here. I'm going to start with something that does not require a device, because I think I'm often very tempted to stay awake once my phone is involved. The nostril breathing, counting, or dream scenarios look like they might be worth a try!

I have had insomnia in the middle of the night and then I'm ok to leave my room and try something else. I think the idea of listening to a podcast I've heard before sounds like a good idea.

I forgot that my sister once recommended to me that I get a Kindle paperwhite just based on the fact that the screen is not too bright and it is not my phone!

Also, funny thing that this morning I slept BEAUTIFULLY for the first time in weeks. Wouldn't you know?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast