Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com has freezable, make-ahead meals. If you have the freezer space, you could double a recipe and have two Thursday meals ready to go in your freezer. Most need to do defrost in the fridge (but some don't- like this one: https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/taco-casserole/)

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Trader joe's is your friend. I'd get boxes of the red pepper and tomato soup, we like to add a can of black beans, some of their frozen roasted corn, and shrimp. Easy and so yummy. You can also look at the regular grocery stores prepared deli items, maybe there is something that can just be heated.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think I'd do a prepared meal as well...if all he can do is throw something in the oven, I'm assuming he can't operate an instant pot if you have the pot all ready to go?

My kids' favorite quick meal is the tortilla-crusted tilapia from Costco. I usually make a veggie and rice to go with it, but your family could do carrot sticks or raw veggies with dip. I swear we eat it twice a week hahaha. You'd have to sub the fish for something else for yourself though when you get home. But it would take care of them.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 04-10-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I make homemade marinara sauce in huge batches and freeze. Then I can throw in the crock pot in the morning, or DH can when he gets up. Then we can do sausage or meatballs with it if we choose (both precooked in the freezer, too), make some kind of noodles or make meatball subs. When I'm not home, DH will also use this same sauce on boboli pizza crusts and they can put whatever they want on their own crust.
    We would do similar with chili or soup from the freezer; but it's getting a bit warm for that - we mostly do that in the winter.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks so much, lots of great ideas!

DH is NOT interested in learning any cooking skills. In 14 years, I've taught him one recipe (roasted salmon and broccoli). I am hoping for something that doesn't really require any prep. I prep on the weekend but I don't feel like most stuff lasts well to Thursday (cut veggies, etc). I also leave early in the AM so I don't really have time to start anything then.

I always forget about Trader Joe's. It's a bit out of the way for us, but I could stock up.

My kids may like that tortilla tilapia. I haven't ever bought that one. I recently bought a miso cod that they didn't like

I'll also look into microwave egg cookers. I think he could do that.

He may be able to do a stir fry if it's dumping bags of frozen stuff in a pan. He can operate the rice cooker as well.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Pizza once a week never hurt anybody
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Double your portions for pasta night, reheat the leftovers on Thursday.
    #BidenHarris2020 “It’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids character matters. It matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.”

Ravioli/tortellini is our go-to backup dinner and it's almost always what DH cooks if he has to cook dinner (he is capable of more but doesn't want to and both he and DS are perfectly happy with ravioli). Either with tomato sauce or olive oil & parmesan, microwave some broccoli on the side.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Especially if you can get your kids to eat veggies on it. I've been known to order a Papa Murphy's pizza with several different types of veggies and then I also add broccoli, carrots, and cucumbers with ranch on the side.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Yes! We have a local pizza place that has really good pizza, but we also keep a couple of frozen pizzas on hand because sometimes it's just one of those nights! We also keep a bag of frozen cheese ravioli or tortellini and a jar of sauce (and often have "better" sauce in the freezer if we remember to thaw it).
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast