Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Blocking internet access?

Is there a way to block internet access to all devices in the house at set times? Or a way to temporarily disable access on a particular device until I can manually switch it back on? DS1 suspects DS2 is going into DS1's personal Chromebook in the middle of the night, circumventing the password protection by using "guest mode". Apparently the internet history does not get saved in guest mode. I *think* the other devices are locked down enough to keep him out but I was not aware of this work around on the chromebooks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would try to determine if that's actually happening, and deal with that first/eliminate that behavior before spending time and energy with internet blocking. How is DS2 getting ahold of the Chrome book?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I would try to determine if that's actually happening, and deal with that first/eliminate that behavior before spending time and energy with internet blocking. How is DS2 getting ahold of the Chrome book?

DS2 is infamous for denying everything. It's likely that it's happened. We are dealing with behavior issues, but his therapist recommended I circumvent opportunities for him to lie. I need a stop gap as behavior is an ongoing challenge. We keep all electronics downstairs at night.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Maybe this is low tech, but could you just unplug the router or wifi and move it to your room at night or something?

Check to see if your internet provider or router already offer parental controls. More longterm - the Gryphon router with parental controls would give you control at a device level.

I collect all devices and keep them in my bedroom at night. Right now I've been keeping laptops and chromebooks downstairs, but I've also collected those when we've had problems. The most successful hiding place I have right now is the dirty clothes basket. Kids can be sneaky and it's so hard to keep on top of it sometimes.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    DS2 is infamous for denying everything. It's likely that it's happened. We are dealing with behavior issues, but his therapist recommended I circumvent opportunities for him to lie. I need a stop gap as behavior is an ongoing challenge. We keep all electronics downstairs at night.

I'm sorry didn't realize that. I guess just putting the laptop in your room would be the easiest. Easier than dealing with the internet.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If it is a personal chromebook (not a school one), you should be able to disable guest mode.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1059252?hl=en

See the second case "Let only certain people sign in to your Chromebook"
    Last edited by o_mom; 04-10-2021 at 08:41 PM.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Can you just turn off the guest account on the chromebook?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Another option is some routers will let you set up a guest network. Kids devices go on the guest network and it gets shut off at certain hours. Different password for my network so I can have internet all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The quick fix would be to change the WiFi password at a certain time and not supply the new one to the kids the am. I know there are better technologically fixes out there. We have two routers for redundancy, but you could always set up two I your house and have the kids use one that gets shut down at a certain time. Sorry you are dealing with this. I completely understand the let’s eliminate the temptation white we work on the other stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast