Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post

I collect all devices and keep them in my bedroom at night. Right now I've been keeping laptops and chromebooks downstairs, but I've also collected those when we've had problems. ... Kids can be sneaky and it's so hard to keep on top of it sometimes.

I lock DD's devices in my nightstand.

We also put a passcode on the good TV (main/family TV) to keep DD from sneaking out of her bedroom at 4am to watch YouTube (only device in the house, aside from my laptop & her school Chromebook, that can access YouTube) before school.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Default Blocking internet access?

On the advice of someone here, I purchased a safe and lock everything inside (iPads, TV remotes, Xbox controllers), and that has completely solved the problem. When I just had them in my room, DS1 would try to sneak in quietly find them. I don’t like up my devices (or Dh’s or DD’s). They are in our room and password protected. Only DS1 had a problem...my other two kids can self-regulate and would never wake up in the middle of the night to mess around on the internet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My husband uses Google wifi and suspends internet access to the kids' devices. Our oldest one was staying up all night in middle school with crap grades and caught him! All devices are also in our bedroom and they do not have access to any of the game controllers for the xbox. Our Nintendo switch has really awesome parental controls on it and the kids haven't figured out a hack to it yet.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This technology is really tempting for kids, isn't it? My new mesh wifi router allows me to turn off wifi to any device during certain set hours, or at any point in time. Our old router allowed me to turn off the router during certain hours with a parent bypass and that is what I had set up through middle school - the network went off at 11 pm and turned back on at 6 am. The newer wifi system allows me to turn off the network for any device at any time, or set up hours for that time. I am not super computer savvy but I made it work for us.

Our router has an app that allows me to switch on/off internet access to each device. I wish it had a timer, but no such luck.

I appreciate reading that I'm not the only one with a child that will wake up in the middle of the night to try to get some extra YouTube time. What is this about?! I guess it is fairly common, if not the norm, for a child to do this. Wow.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Check both your internet provider's website and your router's. I've used both at different times to disable the wifi during certain hours. Once you get logged in to the admin page via a web browser it was pretty easy. But, it all depends on what you have. I never had to buy anything extra, it was available on what we had.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you for all the advice, especially the commiserating. This parenting gig is tough sometimes, isn't it?? Ugh!
    Our router hardware is from our service provider and because I'm working from home, I decided it's probably too complicated to try to modify that (we just got all new equipment from them and have had all sorts of complications). DS1 was completely satisfied with the advice from o_mom on shutting down guest mode. Thank you!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    Thank you for all the advice, especially the commiserating. This parenting gig is tough sometimes, isn't it?? Ugh!
    Our router hardware is from our service provider and because I'm working from home, I decided it's probably too complicated to try to modify that (we just got all new equipment from them and have had all sorts of complications). DS1 was completely satisfied with the advice from o_mom on shutting down guest mode. Thank you!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    I have this router and it is perfect and will meet your needs. It has great parental controls in that you can forbid certain sites (by device) and shut off any device connected to the main or guest network during certain time blocks. So for example the Ipad can't connect to the internet between 10 pm and 7 am etc. It also allows for priority access. This is the main reason I bought it as I WFH and DD is in remote school and I was able to allow my work computer and her school IPad priority access against all the other devices that suck bandwidth (ie Alexa, my phone) so neither of us now have connection issues.

It was easy to connect and all the settings can be done from your smart phone.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2