California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Our 10 year old dog is diabetic: Anyone gone through this?

My sweet ten year old dog was just diagnosed with diabetes. We caught it early. Overall he's an active and happy dog. He gives me the saddest eyes when I have to inject him, like "Okay Mom, if I have to sit here I will, but I don't want to, and don't think that treat makes up for it." Anyone been through this before? I'm feeling a little intimidated by all the vet visits (right when I go back to in-person teaching), the planning it is going to take to make sure he stays on a strict schedule everyday, and finding pet sitters if we want to travel.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Our 10 year old dog is diabetic: Anyone gone through this?

I had a diabetic cat. It gets easier. We managed her diabetes for 8 years and she was a difficult cat. We ended up feeding her and giving her insulin at the same time. It wasn’t recommended but it worked and kept her sugar levels ok. We had to medically board her at the vet if we went anywhere. It was expensive but she wouldn’t let anyone else give her insulin. Good luck. You can do this!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I had a diabetic cat. It gets easier. We managed her diabetes for 8 years and she was a difficult cat. We ended up feeding her and giving her insulin at the same time. It wasn’t recommended but it worked and kept her sugar levels ok. We had to medically board her at the vet if we went anywhere. It was expensive but she wouldn’t let anyone else give her insulin. Good luck. You can do this!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I also had a diabetic cat who was pretty easy to manage after I got over my apprehension that I would hurt her while giving injections. Fortunately she was very cooperative and a generally easy cat. Can’t remember how long she lived after the diagnosis — at least a few years — but I don’t remember any other particular medical issues. (She died from an unrelated rapidly growing cancer.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had a cat with kidney disease and had to give him IV fluids daily as well as injections. When I traveled I paid a technician from the vets office to come and give him his fluids. I’ve often used vet techs for pet sitting over the years. They are the best for any pets that need special care and I have found that every vet I’ve had has at least one tech who pet sits on the side.

I developed a routine that worked with my schedule but I was also single at the time... not sure if that made it easier or not. I would just figure out what makes the most sense for your current schedule and don’t stress if you have to change it or are a couple hours off some days.
    Last edited by mmsmom; 04-11-2021 at 09:41 PM.

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My parents had a diabetic dog. They did 2 injections a day for several years. They fed her on a regular schedule twice a day. She was good that if they were getting late with the feeding, she would start sitting in front of them and staring at them. They would either board her at the vet or with a vet tech at their home. The dog had pancreatitis. May parents and the dog became very well known at the vet's office. I can't remember exactly but I think they got the insulin or needles or maybe both from Walgreens. So definitely shop around for price. And have a sharps container for the needles. You can do this!!

ETA: They would give the insulin and then her food.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I would just figure out what makes the most sense for your current schedule and don’t stress if you have to change it or are a couple hours off some days.
    This. Our 18-year-old cat was diagnosed 7.5 years ago. We were a nervous wreck at the beginning, but quickly figured it out. We try to give her food first, and then the insulin. Weekends can be tough because we're in and out because of sports, outings, etc. She takes a really low dose, though, so our vet has said our cat can go with the flow fairly easily. Our vet also said it's better to skip than give too much. So, it we give her a dose at 10 p.m. but need to be out of the house again by 6 a.m., I skip the morning dose and try to get back on track later in the day.

Finding a pet sitter took awhile. Our friends who have pets live in other parts of town, and their sitters didn't travel to where we live. We finally got a lead on a husband-and-wife team, and they have been great. It's expensive, though. They don't charge extra to administer medicine, but we have to pay for two full visits a day. It's roughly $38 a day, so we factor that in when planning vacations. I would ask around on Next Door.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Thank you for all these positive responses. We're still sorting out the right dose for our dog but I'm feeling hopeful that in a few weeks we'll find our groove. The last two times I gave him his shot he winced a little and I felt horrible! My husband is very matter of fact and quick, and I need to adopt more of his style.

Our dog is really picky about pet sitters. He'll stop eating if he's too stressed, so I don't want to board him. Our neighbors have offered to help with short trips. I'm starting to think that this summer we could do a trip in driving distance and take him with us. I've got friends who always travel with their dogs and rent vacation homes along the coast. It just hasn't been our past travel style. But this could be a good summer to try it out!

Duplicate post

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We take our dog on most driving trips. He’s a great traveler and we like having him with us. If we are flying then we use a Rover pet sitter. If it is only a night or two then we will leave him home and have a neighbor come in.