Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Thursday night supper

Any ideas for an easy, throw in the oven, even DH can do supper for Thursday nights (i.e. I haven't been shopping in a while)?

I'm usually late on Thursday night, not getting home until 6 or 6:30 pm. My kids are omnivores, DH is pescatarian, and I'm mostly vegetarian. Our usually weekly rotation is something like:

Mon - roasted salmon/tofu, rice, broccoli
    Tues - taco salads (turkey for kids, beans for DH and I)
    Wed - pasta (turkey meatballs for kids, vegan meatballs for us)
    Thurs - come home tired and end up feeding the kids bagel bites or fish sticks while we eat instant noodles

Would like to have something healthier that DH can throw in the oven while I'm on the way home. DH literally can't cook anything that requires much more advanced technique than that (no eggs, no pancakes, no French toast, no grilled burgers). My kids are picky, but I like to add a bunch of vegetables to my own meals for health. Ideas?
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You mention no eggs, but could he learn to cook omelettes? Or is it a matter of doesn’t want to learn or doesn’t have the time/energy? They are pretty easy and easy to add lots of veggies to.

But if he can’t, I would prep a breakfast casserole that is basically the same ingredients and have him put that into the oven. I love to add lots of spinach or kale to mine along with Italian tomatoes. I also put a pan of turkey bacon into the oven and that’s super easy. If I have extra time, all do a simple fruit salad like strawberries and blueberries, but he could just wash a package of blueberries.
    K

My kids like to eat mussels. We buy them frozen in a sauce and add a can of chicken broth to the cooking pot. Additionally, we save the remaining sauce liquid and use it to poach frozen white fish fillets. Both cook quickly and easily. Add a salad.

You might want to consider meal delivery kits that offer pre-made ready to heat and eat options. Examples: What a Crock, and Sunbasket. I can’t post links right now, sorry.

Sunbasket click on Fresh and Ready on the left side.

Could he throw a quiche or a lasagna in the oven? A frozen one, or one that you’ve prepared ahead? Or heat up a hearty soup that you’ve already made?

Or what about having a sandwich and salad night? Get some nice submarine buns or bread, and everyone can put in what they want.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love roasted veggies. You can cut and prep earlier in the week. Mix with evoo and a touch of salt. All he needs to do is put them in the oven on a tray.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

We do egg sandwiches a lot on nights like that. We use a little microwave egg cooker where you crack the egg in the container, microwave for 50-60 seconds, and it is done. Takes about the same amount of time as toasting the English muffin or bagel to put it on. Add cheese and veggies if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Make your own salad bar - chop veggies, shred cheese and hard-boil eggs ahead of time. Add grilled chicken if your kids like
    Taco salad bar
    Make your own baked potato bar - prep and cook toppings so you just need the microwave for broccoli or whatever you like
    Grilled cheese and tomato soup with lots of fresh cut veggies
    Charcuterie board - meat, cheese, deviled eggs, nuts, fresh veggies, fruit. All your DH would need to do is arrange it on a board
    Leftovers night - make a little extra throughout the week
    YOYO night (very popular in our house) You're on your own! We all make our own meals within reason. Kids know they need to add at least some form of veggies and/or fruit. They eat Annie's mac and cheese, a bowl of cereal, sandwich, scrambled eggs, cheese and crackers etc. We are around to supervise and guide but I'm not presenting a meal. DH and I usually eat leftovers, throw together a salad or even a sandwich.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Thursday can def be a tricky night foodwise at our house as well. This feels like the perfect night for a prepared meals from Trader Joes or Costco, etc. Frozen quiche, veggie lasagna, etc. that only require turning the oven on. If he's interested in learning more cooking skills, maybe a meal delivery service like those suggested above.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast