JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Has anyone used Angi since it changed from Angie's list?

Just checked out Angi, the updated form of Angie's List, in searching for a company to do the next stage of water damage repair. I did determine there is a "free" membership level, but was hoping to still be able to see company's reviews, etc. If that is possible, I cant figure out how. Instead, I was directed to put the info about my project, etc. I tend to not like getting contacted by companies without knowing who they might be, but decided to go through the steps as I do need to find someone. The last step said something alluding to the fact that something would be scheduled for me within 2 weeks or something like that. Anyway, this is more than I want so I did not go through with it.

Wondering if anyone has used Angi and if you found a way to just be able to read reviews or search companies without necessarily being contacted, etc. I know I can used yelp and google reviews, which I already do. thanks!
    Last edited by JustMe; 04-12-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I haven't. I know my mom has used Angie's List before but not sure she has used the new version. I get my recommendations from friends on social media then verify reviews.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I use next door for anything like that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think it is no longer an independent gatherer of reviews, and now tries to direct to certain contractors.

I get most recommendations for work on our house via NextDoor or the large local community FB moms groups.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've been a bit turned off by Angie's List and have stopped using it, though I was a user and contributor for a while. Their search function is kind of ridiculous and the site overall just not really well set-up for easy browsing. Lots of info on there is old. I just haven't found the subscription fees to be worth it in the era of social media.

I do a combination of things when searching for a contractor, knowing that reviews are often biased. I check google reviews, nextdoor, facebook, and word-of-mouth (realtors often have great recommendations, and so do interior designers which is one fabulous place to look...interior designers depend on the work being done to be good, otherwise it makes them look bad.) Social media has been my most powerful tool because it's easy to ask and get feedback from people who have very recently used the contractor. Most legit companies have FB pages which can be checked and searched for comments/reviews. I know of companies that were great in the past but have since gone bad, so recent experiences/reviews are one of the things I find to be most critical. Contractor turn-over at home remodeling companies can be quite high. The quality of the work comes down to the individual person doing it. We have a small local company that specializes in flooring who keeps and will share their list of references - they are often working alongside plumbers, electricians, etc and are happy to recommend people that have been great to work with.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 04-13-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks so much for the replies! I will not use Angi, which is what I was leaning towards anyway. Unfortunately, not coming up with a good contractor through social media, neighborhood facebook group, and asking around. Hopefully, somehow I find one soon.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

How about Home Advisor? Or your insurance agent?

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thanks so much for the replies! I will not use Angi, which is what I was leaning towards anyway. Unfortunately, not coming up with a good contractor through social media, neighborhood facebook group, and asking around. Hopefully, somehow I find one soon.
    Real estate agent? I believe you've mentioned talking with one before. They usually have a list of good contractors they've worked with before.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Real estate agent? I believe you've mentioned talking with one before. They usually have a list of good contractors they've worked with before.

I really wish. The real estate agent I bought this house with retired and disappeared (moved to Alaska supposedly) after I bought this house; my friend who is a real estate agent does not have any recommendations, nor does the real estate agent I talked about when possibly selling this house. You would think a real estate agent would be able to help!