Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Will deer eat zucchini?

Weird question, I know. I do NOT have a green thumb. Last summer was the first summer I tried gardening and it mostly went well but my zucchini plants developed a powdery blue mildew on them. Someone told me it was probably from overcrowding. I have a big yard and would love to try planting them outside my fenced-in garden but we have a LOT of deer who hang out in our yard. Like a herd of 10 come through our yard daily to graze. I love watching the deer and don't mind them coming through our yard. But I won't try planting the zucchini plants outside the fenced-in garden (which is only about 4 yards x 4 yards wide) if they can eat the zucchini vegetables. The leaves have tiny thorns on them so I doubt they will munch the leaves. But I'm guessing they will go for the zucchinis when they are small. Anyone know for sure?

Also, anyone have luck planting zucchini in containers? I'm guessing the plants would outgrow their pots very quickly. If someone here has had success with zucchini in containers, I could put pots around our pool where the deer wont go for them. The deer don't seem to like walking on the concrete around the pool so my pots are safe there. TIA!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I assume yes. We have lots of deer and everyone has 6+ foot fences around their gardens.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I assume yes. We have lots of deer and everyone has 6+ foot fences around their gardens.
    Have you ever seen a deer eat a zucchini? I'm holding out hope. There is just no room inside my small fenced-in garden for numerous zucchini plants. Plenty of room outside though. I think the deer would stay away from those prickly leaves. And the bunnies and gophers seem not to be able to sink their teeth into the zuchinis. Last summer most of my zucchinis had tiny teeth marks where a critter tried to bite down but didn't get far. Maybe the prickly leaves will deter them. Or maybe pots will work fine for our zucchini plants.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The deer loved my immature winter squash last summer, and they are basically summer squash when young. I wish hunting was legal in town, if it could be done safely.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just spray some Deer Out. It really works!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Just spray some Deer Out. It really works!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    So that stuff works? I’ll have to try it’s. No one here has tried zucchini plants in pots?

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    So that stuff works? I’ll have to try it’s. No one here has tried zucchini plants in pots?
    It really does work! I used a different brand last year (Liquid Fence?) but they were sold out this AM so I researched a bit more and Deer Out looks great. It has a peppermint scent vs the horrible smell of the Liquid Fence. I use it on my hostas, daylilies and lots of other plants. I don't grow zucchini so no help there.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Zucchini is super easy to grow, but it does take a fair amount of space- I think if your pots are big enough it might work. Deer will definitely eat them. I use deer repellent on my perennials, but not sure I would want to use it on something I plan to eat- it smells terrible!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our deer absolutely eat both the zucchini and the leaves. Our deer regularly eat blackberry leaves/vine, zucchini is much less prickly.

We have grown zucchini in large pots - as the squash get larger, we actually lay them down on the ground outside the pots once they will reach.

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    Zucchini is super easy to grow, but it does take a fair amount of space- I think if your pots are big enough it might work. Deer will definitely eat them. I use deer repellent on my perennials, but not sure I would want to use it on something I plan to eat- it smells terrible!
    evidently some aren't as smelly!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast