bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Anyone have any experience with ODD or DMDD?

Anyone ever suspected their children have these? I sometimes wonder about both DD and DS3. DS3 has had a pretty large workup through our insurance company and he does well at school. Still, he fights EVERYTHING we ask him to do. Always. Every time. It has never not been that way. Even if he LIKES something if I ask him to do it, he'll "fight" me for it. It is on my mind both because I listened to an ADDitude Magazine webinar about ODD recently but also because DH has been on Spring Break and has been in charge of the kids and he is just utterly frustrated that both of my littles fight EVERYTHING we ask them to do.

DS3 is generally in a good mood. He's highly sensitive and gets tired very easily but he's usually happy. He just fights anything we ask him to do almost just for the sake of saying no. He doesn't really qualify according to the DSM V criteria because of his good mood and lack of purposeful manipulation/vindicativeness, but I find it fascinating that this characteristic is so integral to his personality!

DD is a little different. When I looked up the criteria, I was stunned that she qualifies for it, unless she is diagnosed with DMDD. Looking at those criteria, she also seems to qualify for THAT except maybe everything that she has going on isn't quite severe enough? With proper mitigation we can "shut it down" pretty quickly by sending her to her room. Not a day goes by that she doesn't have a screaming fit over a small thing. But she also doesn't have full blown tantrums.

I'm curious to see anyone would mind explaining their experience with these disorders. I am trying to figure out our strategy going forward. My high risk family members are halfway vaccinated! So we are ready to move forward in our life, lol.

ArizonaGirl is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I can't elaborate too much now, but my DS has ODD, as well as Autism/ADHD/Written LD.

I'm happy to chat further if you would like if you want to PM me.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My son's therapist says he has ODD. He said really the only thing we could do is find him anger management classes.We haven't done anything about it. He has large meltdowns occasionally but not too bad and we know being tired, hungry, or having too much sugar are triggers.
    Last edited by petesgirl; 04-13-2021 at 04:02 PM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

I’m going to message you. DS1’s diagnosing psychologist thought maybe he had it, but it was absolutely not the case.

Are your kids compliant at school? (I know it’s been a while.). DS1’s issues turned out to be more anxiety and OCD (not traditional OCD but brain gets stuck and perseverates and that’s why he digs in and seems defiant.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I’m going to message you. DS1’s diagnosing psychologist thought maybe he had it, but it was absolutely not the case.

Are your kids compliant at school? (I know it’s been a while.). DS1’s issues turned out to be more anxiety and OCD (not traditional OCD but brain gets stuck and perseverates and that’s why he digs in and seems defiant.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Similar. Tied to anxiety here. Much better with anxiety medication, therapy and getting older.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

DS is diagnosed with it but I don't necessarily believe in it.
    I have found ADHD Dude to be extremely helpful with this stuff, and I'm anxiously awaiting the rollout of his online parent training which seems to have been "coming soon" forever.
    https://adhddude.com/

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks so much guys! I'm going to be sending out some PMs to some of you over the course of the day. The ADDitude magazine webinar talked a lot about parenting training and some other behavioral modification programs that were shown to be effective. I rather wish podcasts could be searched like webpages. I need to listen to it again but this day is going to be a bit crazy work wise so I'll update this when I get the chance!