Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Thoughts on loft beds?

DS is turning 11 and for DD's 11th birthday, we redid her room. She got to pick a lot of updates, some bigger like a new bed, some small like paint / decor. It also gave us an opportunity to really declutter and it has made a huge difference in her use of her room. She now takes much more pride in it and keeps it neat (it was a disaster before!).

I'd like to do something similar for DS. However, his room is significantly smaller with a big, low window on one wall and a decent closet plus doorway taking up another wall, so options are more limited. DD also upgraded to a full bed instead of a twin. DS would like this too, but I worry it will take up the whole room. He has also expressed possibly wanting to add a desk in his room (DD has one), but there is very little space for that either.

One option we are considering is a loft bed setup. I was particularly looking at some of the lower loft/storage type beds like this, thinking maybe it would be a longer lasting piece. I also worry about changing sheets on a high one. https://www.pbteen.com/products/slee...ey=cbunks-loft

Does anyone have advice or experience with loft beds (or other ways to maximize space)?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That's cute but really $$ for something that has a limited life span. He won't take it with him to his first apartment and it wouldn't be a good bed for a guest bedroom.
    Mine has a "junior" loft bed because our ceilings were too low for a full size one. His new full sized bed frame and mattress are sitting in our entry way for us to make the swap. The biggest problem was the mattress as he got older. You will see that the PBK mattress requirements have a max height (from your PBK listing "
    • Expertly crafted 4 ½” foam base system provides uniform support and durability." )

The problem with that is that it is really thin and might not be comfortable or supportive as he gets older/bigger. As soon as ds2 hit his 13yo growth spurt and got to 115lbs, he really started to be uncomfortable on his thin mattress. Obviously different mattresses are better/worse but it's something to consider.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We considered it for our girls but decided against it for 2 main reason: the ceiling fan, and the fact that the sheets would be hard to change (they're AWFUL at keeping their beds clean...so I'm kinda glad we didn't do loft beds since regular beds are enough of a pain to change sheets!)

But, if space is limited, then space is limited and you should consider a loft bed if you can position it safely away from the ceiling fan and aesthetically to not block light from the window. Since you say the window is low, would a loft bed work on the window wall, with the window below the bed, and in the underneath desk area?

Another alternative, if you can make it fit without having to get a loft bed, is the wall-mounted desk that folds up and out of the way. And then do a twin or full sized bed with storage in the headboard or under the bed, or both.

Yet another idea - building a desk into the closet, and then utilizing a storage bed for clothing (and you may be able to keep some space in the closet for hanging clothes).

IKEA would be a good place to look for loft beds and space-saving ideas.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We had a twin bed over desk loft bed for DS when he was younger. For the time we had it, it worked great (Maybe 6 to 10 years old.) We handed it down when we moved.

Once DS really started growing, it was too close to the ceiling - he couldn't sit up in it. Ds is unusually tall, however. (At just turned twelve, DS is 5'10") It may work longer for you.

I always thought having a murphy bed would be fun...

I seriously think this depends on how often you redecorate bedrooms. If you are willing to take the chance that a loft bed won't work in a few years, go for it. I know several kids who ditched the loft bed they so desperately wanted by the time they were 14-15 years old. I opted to do beds my kids could use as young adults but I don't tend to redecorate bedrooms frequently.

That said, the bed you linked isn't all that high so it may be a non-issue. And maybe you could have the legs cut down if your DS is bothered by the height into his teen years.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for all those thoughts.

I was considering the low one bc I thought it would last a little longer and give him more space in bed than the high one (its only 47 in high). He doesn't have a ceiling fan or overhead light and we have fairly high ceilings so no issues there. As for the mattress, we will probably get the same one no matter the bed - DD has a Zinus that we all love! Hers is on a regular (non-loft) bed but it doesn't need a box spring so would work on a loft bed too I think. Our whole family, including DH who is 6'2" and 200 lbs, thinks it is the most comfortable mattress in the house!

A storage bed with wall mounted desk is another good idea, as is checking Ikea - unfortunately, our closest one is in Canada, so can't go there right now but we could possibly drive further if we found something we loved.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My 15 yr old, who is tall has a loft bed. He doesn't seem to mind it. When we moved houses, it turned out that due to our current house being a 1.5 story house, the second floor ceilings weren't as traditional (roof sloping)... so his room, which ironically is also by far the largest compared to his siblings was the only one with a non sloped wall tall enough for the loft bed. My 11 yr old whines all the time that he wants a loft bed, but his room wouldn't fit it. We figure we will just sell it later on. It is actually a 2 loft bed with a L shape, but we only used on half of it after we moved... that's why my youngest one whines that it's not fair.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have a loft for our 10 year old and so far so good. We use these sheets which make changing a breeze: QuickZip Fitted Sheet - Includes 1 Fitted Sheet Base & 2 Zip-On Sheets - Easy to Change, Fold & Wash - Soft Sateen 400 TC Cotton Fitted Sheets - 15" Deep Pockets Twin XL Size Sheets – Slate Gray https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07SQ578...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS14 has a full size loft bed with a built in desk underneath. It also has built in shelves and an attached dresser. We have high ceilings so it has been fine. You have to completely climb up on the bed to change the sheets. I will admit however that it is usually my housekeeper that does this. He has had the loft bed since we moved into house about 3 years ago. I expect we will switch to a regular bed soon as it seems he will outgrow the loft aspect.

DD12 got bunk beds 3 years ago and she outgrew them quickly. We just redid her room and got a Queen bed. Her room is huge and the price difference from full to queen wasn’t significant.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS14 has a full size loft bed with a built in desk underneath. It also has built in shelves and an attached dresser. We have high ceilings so it has been fine. You have to completely climb up on the bed to change the sheets. I will admit however that it is usually my housekeeper that does this. He has had the loft bed since we moved into house about 3 years ago. I expect we will switch to a regular bed soon as it seems he will outgrow the loft aspect.

DD12 got bunk beds 3 years ago and she outgrew them quickly. We just redid her room and got a Queen bed. Her room is huge and the price difference from full to queen wasn’t significant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast