Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by acmom View Post
    Thanks for all those thoughts.

I was considering the low one bc I thought it would last a little longer and give him more space in bed than the high one (its only 47 in high). He doesn't have a ceiling fan or overhead light and we have fairly high ceilings so no issues there. As for the mattress, we will probably get the same one no matter the bed - DD has a Zinus that we all love! Hers is on a regular (non-loft) bed but it doesn't need a box spring so would work on a loft bed too I think. Our whole family, including DH who is 6'2" and 200 lbs, thinks it is the most comfortable mattress in the house!

A storage bed with wall mounted desk is another good idea, as is checking Ikea - unfortunately, our closest one is in Canada, so can't go there right now but we could possibly drive further if we found something we loved.
    Just make sure the mattress isn’t too tall to be safe with the railings. That’s the reason for the thinner mattresses. I think I skipped over that above.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The "low loft" might be less of a pain to change sheets if you can reach it without climbing. What about something like this? A standalone low loft bed, with enough clearance underneath for you to fit a rolling desk and file cabinet or low dresser:
    https://www.wayfair.com/baby-kids/pd...8%2C1713997179

You would just need to check dimensions from floor to top of desk - but most desks are under 30 inches tall. Only suggesting because it's way cheaper than PB, even after you add a simple rolling desk and dresser, both of which you could continue to use even if you decide he ages out of a loft bed.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DS has his xbox monitor on his desk (he has an L shaped desk now), but I would want a desk with enough space and one that wouldn't have to be cleared to push out of the way.

As for sheets, if you do a loft, just do a fitted sheet with a comforter, don't bother with the "top" sheet. My DS even ditched his matching quilt for a sports blanket (does it look as nice, no, is it worth arguing about no, the only ones who see his room are me, him and his buddies who I"m sure don't care.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We can change ds2's short loft bed sheets pretty easily. Only dh uses a top sheet in our family.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My sister had a loft bed and I always felt like her bedroom didn't feel "cozy" because there wasn't any place to sit. I guess we sat on beds a lot? Lol.

I think a lot of people have made this work but I'd probably try to find a different way if one of my own children needed this option.

DD is 15 and has had a loft bed for a few years. She has the ikea one (I forget the name but it’s wood look and full size). We had to shorten the legs on it because it was too tall (purchased second hand so I didn’t mind altering it) but she really wanted something she could have a space under to hang out and do homework. She’s got a Papasan chair and lamp underneath it and has it decorated with bulletin boards on the wall and lights under the bed. It’s cute and a fun space for her. The sheet changing is her responsibility. I tell her it needs to be done and she has to do it. We had a similar issue with wall space due to closet and bathroom doors on one wall and windows on another so space was really limited when it was time to upgrade her from a twin so this was the best solution for us. We ditched the ladder and hacked another ikea piece into stairs along the wall (3 tiered Trofast storage that provides extra dresser space for socks and PJs etc and DH built a taller tier bookcase to make it 4 “steps). It won’t be a forever thing but it works for now and she loves the space underneath.
    Last edited by calebsmama03; 04-14-2021 at 11:46 PM.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DD had a low loft bed, it was a twin, but very similar to the PB one you posted - a dresser fit underneath and it had an attached desk.

I loved the low loft! I could stand and talk to her at my height when she was in bed, reading, or kissing her goodnight. I could also get up and sit with her up there. It was so accessible! Changing the sheets was a little bit of a pain, but not too bad. We sold it when she wanted a full size and we moved houses. But I'm a big fan. We got a bunky board for the box spring so it wasn't too high.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2