Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have an appt scheduled for Saturday to get the J&J. I haven't gotten a notice of cancelation yet so I'm hoping they just swap it out for another one.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    My teacher friend in Ontario, Canada is so frustrated. She is 53 and so doesn't qualify yet for a vaccine up there, as they are woefully behind in getting vaccinations out. She had hoped to get J&J but she was on BC for 30 years, not anymore but she is now thinking not as all 6 of the people who had blood clots were women age 18-48 (no word yet on if they were all on BC).

To top it all off the government has changed their mind as after their delayed Spring Break they just found out they aren't going back to work and they are on their 3rd major "lockdown", it's very different in Canada, they limit how many people can gather and bylaw is called frequently (my niece who is 19 got a 800 ticket for being at her boyfriends house with 6 other people). Canada is struggling right now, when earlier they were doing so well. I am feeling like I'll never get back across the border to see my dad!
    Any idea why Canada is so far behind? I read the other day from a journalist in Toronto that their positive cases are through the roof. It’s scary to think we could be in another major lockdown.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Canada has to buy the vaccines from other countries.

The way they chose to do long term care is also seriously flawed (I work in long term care in the US but am from Canada). In the US all staff was offered the vaccine along with residents, which makes total sense. In Canada they only offered to the residents, so anyone coming into contact with the residents (aids, nurses, dietary, housekeeping) were not vaccinated.

It also seems the variants seem to be taking over up there. They have been so much more closed up than anywhere in the US for the last few months but cases rising. Their hospitals are also at capacity, but there is a shortage of doctors and nurses (many leave Canada for better money in the US).

When I talk to family and friends they are shocked at what we are allowed to do here, and I'm in Illinois where we were under stricter guidelines than many states.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The university I work for had a J&J event planned for Friday (for students and staff and their families), and today they sent out an email saying it was switched to Pfizer
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds1 was scheduled to get on campus but it was cancelled. Now I don’t have a good plan because he can get dose 1 there but I haven’t figured out how to get a 2nd dose scheduled somewhere else. I’m sure there’s a good solution out there but I haven’t had the time today to research.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Ds1 was scheduled to get on campus but it was cancelled. Now I don’t have a good plan because he can get dose 1 there but I haven’t figured out how to get a 2nd dose scheduled somewhere else. I’m sure there’s a good solution out there but I haven’t had the time today to research.

It is much easier now so I wouldn't anticipate a problem. Both CVS and Walgreens allow you to select "second dose only" when scheduling, our health departments will as well, and I'm sure others do. It was very difficult in Feb.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by specialp View Post
    It is much easier now so I wouldn't anticipate a problem. Both CVS and Walgreens allow you to select "second dose only" when scheduling, our health departments will as well, and I'm sure others do. It was very difficult in Feb.
    That's good. It's been about 2 weeks since I last needed to look for an appointment and none said 2nd dose at that time.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dh (46) had J&J on Monday and yesterday had mild aches and pains. Overall he is happy he was able to get it. I hope they can figure out the blood clot side effect soon.

Kestrel I had zero side effects from Pfizer other than tiredness and a sore arm. I wouldn’t think twice about getting it unless there was a reason I couldn’t get it like severe allergic reactions to vaccines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default J & J vaccine "paused"

I got the 1st Pfizer shot on Saturday. Other than slightly sore arm that day, I had no other symptoms. My arm was fine the next day. DH said he felt slightly feverish the next day. I would get it without hesitation.
    We are both scheduled for a second shot in 3 weeks.

Our district had a vaccination clinic coming up for 18 and above and they’ve switched to moderna now.

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

I would have him get the 1st dose as soon as he can and schedule a second one at home. Multiple locations are now giving 2nd doses to those who received the 1st elsewhere. Personally I'd want my kid getting the benefit of even the 1st dose sooner rather than later given the spread demographics right now.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast