Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default J & J vaccine "paused"

I'm so frustrated! After waffling for months, I had decided to get J & J vaccine and am scheduled to get it at a mass vaccine clinic this coming Saturday. This morning, everything came to a screeching halt as all J & J vaccines are "paused". All clinics canceled until further notice. So frustrating!

So, what does "paused" mean, exactly?

Edited to add: I meant all of _our_ vaccine clinics: we had four weekend days scheduled for April for J & J vaccine in our community, all four canceled.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 04-13-2021 at 08:53 PM.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Gah! I wish I knew, my sister and bil live in South America- he came this week to try and get that one so he wouldn't have to come back. Terrible timing- now he needs to decide if they will allow it before he leaves on Sunday or just get another one and plan to come back in 3 weeks. I have heard a few days but who knows. It does seem that the risk is very small, but I guess I see that they want to take a closer look.

It is frustrating but it's also comforting in that the FDA and CDC are following safety mechanisms very carefully. Since it's also an adenovirus vector vaccine, like the AstaZeneca vaccine, it's prudent to compare clotting rates with the background rate and tease out correlation vs. causation. I'm guessing this also made them quick to pause. Do you follow Dear Pandemic, Friendly Neighbor Epidemiologist, or Your Local Epidemiologist? They are calmly discussing everything as it happens.

Paused until they get to the bottom of exactly what is happening, what is the risk of clotting happening. Sadly, it probably means that the US vaccination rates won't continue at their current rate but we can be reassured vaccinations are as safe as possible.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Sadly, it probably means that the US vaccination rates won't continue at their current rate but we can be reassured vaccinations are as safe as possible.
    I watched the Dr. Fauci press briefing this morning and he said this shouldn't slow down things in the US. That they are operating in a "war time" mode and have planned for contingencies. He said over 28 million vaccines are going out this week alone and that those that were scheduled for J&J are just a small number. It sounded like those who were scheduled for J&J (my appointment is Thursday) should be able to just get Pfizer or Moderna instead. I guess I'll find out when I show up for mine!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I watched the Dr. Fauci press briefing this morning and he said this shouldn't slow down things in the US. That they are operating in a "war time" mode and have planned for contingencies. He said over 28 million vaccines are going out this week alone and that those that were scheduled for J&J are just a small number. It sounded like those who were scheduled for J&J (my appointment is Thursday) should be able to just get Pfizer or Moderna instead. I guess I'll find out when I show up for mine!

That's great news!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In my area they have said anyone scheduled for J&J will be offered Pfizer instead. They are not canceling any appts or clinics. I hope they get it figured out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    In my area they have said anyone scheduled for J&J will be offered Pfizer instead. They are not canceling any appts or clinics. I hope they get it figured out soon.

In my area some people scheduled for J&J are getting the Pfizer or Moderna instead but others have had their appointment cancelled.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post

That's good to know. I hate it for the people uncomfortable with the mRNA platform who were choosing J&J. Several friends are in that camp and I know they are stressed now.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I'm so frustrated! After waffling for months, I had decided to get J & J vaccine and am scheduled to get it at a mass vaccine clinic this coming Saturday. This morning, everything came to a screeching halt as all J & J vaccines are "paused". All clinics canceled until further notice. So frustrating!

So, what does "paused" mean, exactly?
    I know in Chicago they just switched people to the Pfizer so they won't be canceling the appointments.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My teacher friend in Ontario, Canada is so frustrated. She is 53 and so doesn't qualify yet for a vaccine up there, as they are woefully behind in getting vaccinations out. She had hoped to get J&J but she was on BC for 30 years, not anymore but she is now thinking not as all 6 of the people who had blood clots were women age 18-48 (no word yet on if they were all on BC).

To top it all off the government has changed their mind as after their delayed Spring Break they just found out they aren't going back to work and they are on their 3rd major "lockdown", it's very different in Canada, they limit how many people can gather and bylaw is called frequently (my niece who is 19 got a 800 ticket for being at her boyfriends house with 6 other people). Canada is struggling right now, when earlier they were doing so well. I am feeling like I'll never get back across the border to see my dad!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast