Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This does not create a supply issue in my area, but it does create a huge distribution issue. I've been volunteering throughout the whole distribution process, and the "one and done" shot is crucial to getting certain populations vaccinated. We had a big multi-location event scheduled for the start of next week targeting the homeless population that is now on hold. There is just no way to track that population for second doses, so the Johnson and Johnson shot was vital. Likewise, we target in so many working class communities where people have very tight schedules and are unwilling to commit to a second shot at a later time, so the one shot was our best bet at pulling them in and getting them vaccinated right then and there. Plus all the people with allergies who are convinced J&J is "safer" for them than the others.

Ugh, it's just so disappointing. I do some canvasing, and this has obviously added another reason to people's vaccine hesitance. We obviously try to focus on how the 1 in a million odds still make it much less likely than you getting coronavirus and developing a blood clot that way, and how this is actually a sign of how safe these vaccines are and how cautious health authorities are being. But it's so hard to get people to hear beyond a negative Facebook post.

Ey28ihKU8AYgWh0.jpg
    #BidenHarris2020 “It’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids character matters. It matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.”

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    I would have him get the 1st dose as soon as he can and schedule a second one at home. Multiple locations are now giving 2nd doses to those who received the 1st elsewhere. Personally I'd want my kid getting the benefit of even the 1st dose sooner rather than later given the spread demographics right now.
    I agree with this. With even just one dose of the MRNA vaccines you're still pretty protected. I'm sure you'll be able to find a second shot too!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    That's good. It's been about 2 weeks since I last needed to look for an appointment and none said 2nd dose at that time.

DS1 got his first at a walk-in site about an hour from home. I booked his second at CVS only 20 minutes away. It's not super obvious, but there is a link above the map on this page for scheduling dose 2 only. https://www.cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine
    Kris

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

hwin708 -

That is exactly what I mean. Is is more likely to get Covid AFTER being vaccinated than to get a blood clot from the vaccine! Our state (Washington) has 217 breakthrough covid cases so far, as opposed to 6 blood clot cases in the US. (I know this number may change since they are looking into it.)

Our low-income area went through a lot of stuff to prepare clinics for this month - vaccinating whole families at once, early morning and late evening appointments to let working folks get in, going into less affluent areas... and all down the tubes.

While it's great that some areas had enough supply to just switch brands, we don't. They canceled thousands of appointments for low-mid and low income people with no plans to reschedule.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    hwin708 -

That is exactly what I mean. Is is more likely to get Covid AFTER being vaccinated than to get a blood clot from the vaccine! Our state (Washington) has 217 breakthrough covid cases so far, as opposed to 6 blood clot cases in the US. (I know this number may change since they are looking into it.)

Our low-income area went through a lot of stuff to prepare clinics for this month - vaccinating whole families at once, early morning and late evening appointments to let working folks get in, going into less affluent areas... and all down the tubes.

While it's great that some areas had enough supply to just switch brands, we don't. They canceled thousands of appointments for low-mid and low income people with no plans to reschedule.
    On TWIV someone pointed out that the risk for blood clots is greater from birth control than from the vaccine, yet millions of women continue to take it anyway. It was definitely something to think about. I'm listening to a podcast right now that teased the idea of raising the concerns without withdrawing the possibility to use the vaccine entirely, just making sure people can be aware of the (potential) risks. Seems like a good idea to me!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3