Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default how do you set up a kindle for kids and teens?

I picked up a Kindle 8 (not the paperwhite) refurbished on Woot and want to set it up for my 14 yr. old. If I use the Kids Kindle settings then I have to go into parent controls on the device and add any books she wants to read. Can I set it up so that I can borrow books from OverDrive or Kindle Unlimited and just choose to have them go directly to her Kindle, rather than me having to then go into the actual device to load them? Also, I should probably turn off purchasing with my Amazon account so that she doesn't accidentally purchase books (she tends to read series and does previews of the next book in the series or recommendations if she likes a certain author).

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Does your 14-year-old have her own library card? If so, she can use her own library card to make her own OverDrive account and she can manage it from there.

My 11-year-old has the Libby app on her iPad and it works fine - I don't have to poke my nose into her reading and she doesn't get access to the violent, trashy, and violent & trashy books I read on my account - so I don't see why OverDrive would be any different.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Whenever I borrow an e book from the library, I tell it I want to read on kindle and then it gives me the list of which device to send it to. So you could easily just send it to her kindle.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

they can easily borrow on overdrive and not get you involved. If they use the kindle app and you've set it up with a parent/child acct then you have to authorize that specific book on their acct.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids are set up under my Amazon acct. I get booms from Overdrive and just send to their Kindle. There’s been a couple times when we’ve reached our limit of ebooks checked out at once but it usually isn’t an issue. I think they get ebooks from their school library on their own and send to their Kindle as well.

OK, I finally got around to setting up the new to her Kindle tonight. I added the kindle to my account with her name. The problem with that though is either she can see my entire library, or I have to set up Parental Controls and use Kindle Free Time, and when using that I have to log in with the parent password and add books to her library on her Kindle, I can't just choose it in Kindle Unlimited and send it directly to her Kindle like I could on her old Kindle Keyboard. And, I cannot figure out how to put library books on it. I have several outside libraries that I used on Overdrive but they are under my account, not my Kids' library cards (our county library uses Axis 360 instead of Overdrive and I have yet to figure out if I can borrow Kindle books on that). I don't mind letting her look at the app on my phone and choose books, then I just was sending it directly to her old Kindle, but it won't let me do that with Freetime on her new Kindle. And I don't really want to have to deal with Freetime for either of them, but that was the only way that I could figure out how to limit which books they saw (instead of seeing my entire library, or each other's books, because that is a lot to sort through!). I just want to be able to let them choose books on Kindle Unlimited, or through Overdrive, and then I can sent the books directly to their kindle so that they only see the books they want to see, and not my entire library. Does this mean I need to have them register under their own accounts instead of mine? But then they would lose any books they currently have, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    OK, I finally got around to setting up the new to her Kindle tonight. I added the kindle to my account with her name. The problem with that though is either she can see my entire library, or I have to set up Parental Controls and use Kindle Free Time, and when using that I have to log in with the parent password and add books to her library on her Kindle, I can't just choose it in Kindle Unlimited and send it directly to her Kindle like I could on her old Kindle Keyboard. And, I cannot figure out how to put library books on it. I have several outside libraries that I used on Overdrive but they are under my account, not my Kids' library cards (our county library uses Axis 360 instead of Overdrive and I have yet to figure out if I can borrow Kindle books on that). I don't mind letting her look at the app on my phone and choose books, then I just was sending it directly to her old Kindle, but it won't let me do that with Freetime on her new Kindle. And I don't really want to have to deal with Freetime for either of them, but that was the only way that I could figure out how to limit which books they saw (instead of seeing my entire library, or each other's books, because that is a lot to sort through!). I just want to be able to let them choose books on Kindle Unlimited, or through Overdrive, and then I can sent the books directly to their kindle so that they only see the books they want to see, and not my entire library. Does this mean I need to have them register under their own accounts instead of mine? But then they would lose any books they currently have, right?

They do not need their own accounts. There is a setting where you can indicate that they should not have access to your library. I think maybe under “mange my content and devices” on Amazon. Amazon has a great help section if you search for setting up a Kindle it has all of this information. When you download from Overdrive there should be a drop down box on the Amazon page that says “send book to” and you select which device to send it to.

I am not sure about Kindle Unlimited but you can also chat with Amazon technical help if you don’t find the information in the help section.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    They do not need their own accounts. There is a setting where you can indicate that they should not have access to your library. I think maybe under “mange my content and devices” on Amazon. Amazon has a great help section if you search for setting up a Kindle it has all of this information. When you download from Overdrive there should be a drop down box on the Amazon page that says “send book to” and you select which device to send it to.

I am not sure about Kindle Unlimited but you can also chat with Amazon technical help if you don’t find the information in the help section.
    Yes to this. You can check out any book on Kindle Unlimited and just download it to someone else’s device. I love the don’t share library feature :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Yes to this. You can check out any book on Kindle Unlimited and just download it to someone else’s device. I love the don’t share library feature :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am feeling pretty silly but I can't find where this setting is at! When I look at my devices and content there is a blue highlighted part that says Show Family Library or Hide Family Library but the exact same books are shown on each. ANything that is sent to the default device (mine) is also showing up on the girls' Kindles. And the library books that I have sent to DD1's kindle is also showing up on mine......

In Manage Content and Devices there is a tab for Devices. In that tab there is a toggle for “share content”. Mine says select family members to share content on this device. It shows DH’s name and is turned off. It may be that you need to set up your Amazon family if that is not set up. It’s been many years since I did this but I do think the Kindles are set up as child devices under my account though they do not have their own account or free time. Amazon help will walk you through the settings if it still isn’t working. You can try to deregister and start over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast