California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Mattresses: Anyone gone from king back to queen?

DH and I have a fairly small bedroom and we’re thinking of downsizing from a king to a queen. We’re due for a new mattress so now is the time for us to decide. Has anyone made this switch?

We slept in our studio for a couple of nights on a queen mattress to test it out and thought we’d do okay. It’s definitely cozier!

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dh and I only sleep on kings in hotels as we have only ever had a queen. I had a full we slept on when Dh had his own apartment prior to us getting married. When we moved last August and were also needing a new mattress I thought we would get a king as well but we just bought another queen and it has been fine. Our room could accommodate a king with no problem but dh didn’t want to spend a lot of money buying a new bed frame.

Spend a lot of time researching mattresses....it is no longer an easy process. We bought an eco friendly MIUSA gel/latex/foam mattress in September and it was great until we rotated it around about a month ago and now Dh can’t sleep well (and have since rotated back to where it was originally) so we bought a mattress topper from Tempur Pedic (which arrives today) but tbh I miss the good old days of regular inner spring mattresses. Thankfully we got an amazing deal on this mattress (we paid maybe $1000 for a $2200 mattress at a local store that was going out of business) but I don’t want to ditch it before it is a year old, but if we do I swear I think I am going back to regular non fancy medium firm inner spring mattress and calling it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-15-2021 at 12:48 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Dh and I only sleep on kings in hotels as we have only ever had a queen. I had a full we slept on when Dh had his own apartment prior to us getting married. When we moved last August and were also needing a new mattress I thought we would get a king as well but we just bought another queen and it has been fine. Our room could accommodate a king with no problem but dh didn’t want to spend a lot of money buying a new bed frame.

Spend a lot of time researching mattresses....it is no longer an easy process. We bought an eco friendly MIUSA gel/latex/foam mattress in September and it was great until we rotated it around about a month ago and now Dh can’t sleep well (and have since rotated back to where it was originally) so we bought a mattress topper from Tempur Pedic (which arrives today) but tbh I miss the good old days of regular inner spring mattresses. Thankfully we got an amazing deal on this mattress (we paid maybe $1000 for a $2200 mattress at a local store that was going out of business) but I don’t want to ditch it before it is a year old, but if we do I swear I think I am going back to regular non fancy medium firm inner spring mattress and calling it a day.

We sleep significantly better on a king than on a queen -- but we're both the type who need our own separate space with no one touching us to sleep well!

I completely agree with Annie though. When we get a new mattress we are going back to a regular non fancy inner spring mattress. And we're doing it soon even though our current mattress isn't that old. I have hated it since the day we got it. I am the kind of person who just hates all foam mattresses. DH thinks it's fine, but he's more than willing to replace it so I'll be more comfortable. Sometimes I sleep in our guest room (on our old queen sized bed with a traditional Beautyrest mattress) when he is out of town for work because I like it much better.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post

We just bought ds2 the Haugsvar hybrid mattress at IKEA. He thought it was the best of both worlds. He doesn't love foam, doesn't love springs and thought this one was really comfy. We might look at hybrids when the time comes.

OP- we have a queen. Never had a king. I'm afraid to go to a king for fear that I'd never be able to go backwards.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We just bought ds2 the Haugsvar hybrid mattress at IKEA. He thought it was the best of both worlds. He doesn't love foam, doesn't love springs and thought this one was really comfy. We might look at hybrids when the time comes.

OP- we have a queen. Never had a king. I'm afraid to go to a king for fear that I'd never be able to go backwards.
    We had a hybrid last time and I hated it initially for a few months and thought it was too firm initially but and I always had a firm inner spring mattress but then I loved until about the last year we had it (it was only 8 years old too so that stunk!), but then we got this one with zero springs and other the first night getting used to it I have slept fine, but still miss the times when things were simple. Not sure if I would go back to the hybrid route though, but glad the IKEA is working for your DS2.

ETA: FWIW I think I would probably sleep better in the long run on a king as I do like my space but in our prior house we had no room for a king; I think my first apartment I lived at pre marriage had a bigger bedroom than our last house that was barely 10’ x 10’ . So a queen is all we have ever known, and then it makes those times where we stay in hotels that only have queens easy.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-15-2021 at 06:12 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We did, about 10 years ago. No regrets. I cannot deal with a double (we have one at the cottage), but am all good with a queen.