MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Looking for resources to help determine areas non-profit board is lacking in

I am on a sub-committee for one of the non-profit boards I'm on that is responsible for finding new board members. Our first task is to establish the areas that we need to fill. Our CEO gave us a matrix to fill out that scored each board member on some specific areas and it was a very harmful matrix. For example, it made me look like one of the worst board members because I'm not rich and can't donate a ton of money or because I'm not "known" by all of the "important people" in town. Yet, I'm one of the most active board members and do a ton of work that no one else does, while also filling out and receiving quite a few grants, so I do contribute financially, just not with my own money. No one on the board enjoyed the matrix, so I'm trying to find other types of tools to evaluate the areas on the board that are lacking so that when we look for new board members we know what skills to look for. I've looked at various non-profit websites but am not finding anything useful. Does anyone have any guidance as to where I can look?

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don’t have a matrix, but thought I’d chime in to suggest contacting a couple of nonprofit office administrators to see if they have one. When I worked for a small nonprofit we made friends with the admin assts at larger nonprofits and they were very helpful with questions like this.

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’ve worked for several nonprofits. You might find this helpful. https://blueavocado.org/board-of-dir...sition-matrix/

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm in-house counsel for a non-profit and cannot imagine using such a tool, mainly because of the sorts of situations that you just experienced. It sounds like you may benefit from a SWOT analysis with a facilitator, particularly on the heels of that mess.