Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default How do you wash swim team swimsuits?

Hello,
    We are starting swim team this summer. The suit says to hand wash (no detergent), using mild bar soap. What do you use for this to get the chlorine smell out but that's gentle enough for the swimsuit? TIA

No professional swimmer here - just summer swim team mom. I've always thrown ours into the wash with regular loads and hang-dried. We haven't had any adverse effects AFAIK.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Mine never got into the really expensive suits ($100+) so if that's what you are talking about, I'll let another swim parent chime in. For the run of the mill swim team suits I not only washed them with our laundry but usually dried them in there as well. I do everything (except towels and sheets) on cold water, low heat so factor that in.
    Ds1 had a bottle of Woolite available if he wanted to hand wash a suit (I don't think he ever did).

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Yeah, I am lazy so also use the washing machine (try and hang dry if I remember, but have dried them in the dryer on occasion too). I'm sure they would last longer if I hand washed but they seem to do ok. I also don't usually wash every time they wear them.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    I also don't usually wash every time they wear them.
    Ditto on that!
    Ds1 mostly just threw his suit back in a bag after practice and rewore it the next day. For a lot of days in a row...

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think we only washed occasionally, most suits lasted a long time. If we did wash, just regular wash and hang to dry. DD has been a swimmer for 7 years, no special secret or detergent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I usually just put on rinse cycle in washing machine and hang them to dry. I wash with our regular detergent a couple times a summer on delicate cycle. Our pool is saline but if we go to a chlorine pool I make sure they are at least rinsed out. Sometimes I do it by hand. I think the main thing is not letting the chlorine sit on them all the time as it breaks down the fibers in the suit.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I swam in lakes growing up and we had a top-loader/agitator washing machine, so hand-washing swimsuits daily was essential.

These days, if I swim in a pool (chlorinated), I rinse the suit at the sink (or wear it briefly in the shower) and roll it up inside my towel before tossing it into a mesh lingerie bag & washing it with the rest of my cold-water clothing. The mesh bag reminds me to pull it out & hang it up to dry.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I usually just put on rinse cycle in washing machine and hang them to dry. I wash with our regular detergent a couple times a summer on delicate cycle. Our pool is saline but if we go to a chlorine pool I make sure they are at least rinsed out. Sometimes I do it by hand. I think the main thing is not letting the chlorine sit on them all the time as it breaks down the fibers in the suit.
    This is what I always did as a swim team kid.

Grew up on swim team & later lifeguard/instructor/coach. Always hand washed my suits, usually in Woolite (not sure if that’s the thing now.). After practice I’d wash in the sink, rinse & hang up to dry in the shower. They’d be ready for practice the next day. Swim team suits aren’t cheap when you start needing multiples & you want them to last. I hand wash all my suits still because they don’t fade as much and last longer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast