jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Breast ultrasound and Covid vax

I’m due for a breast ultrasound and had my second Covid vax last week. I called to schedule but the scheduler didn’t have any information on how long I need to wait. Anyone here have any thoughts. Should I wait 6 weeks? She said if anything came up they would just have me return in 3 months. Seems like an unnecessary extra appointment instead of just waiting.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Breast ultrasound and Covid vax

I know that mammograms can be affected. I don’t know about ultrasound though. I think I’d just push the ultrasound back, if you can
    Eta- the idea of a false result would stress me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 04-16-2021 at 10:44 AM.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our breast clinic doesn't advise waiting but simply alerting the tech. The vaccine may cause swollen lymph nodes but no other changes to the breast tissue and therefore shouldn't impede reading a mammogram or u/s. If they see enlarged nodes then they know it's vaccine related if you've disclosed recent vaccine. Here's from the clinic's newsletter:

"Enlarged lymph nodes in the underarm after the COVID-19 vaccine
    Stamatia Destounis, MD

A side effect of COVID-19 vaccination can be swollen lymph nodes in the underarm on the side where the COVID-19 vaccination was given. This is seen now about 15-20% of the time after the first and or second vaccination dose. These lymph nodes may be large enough to be found on a breast exam by you or your doctor or seen on your screening mammogram. There is no reason to worry as our breast imaging physicians are very familiar with lymph node enlargement with other vaccinations including for the flu, or shingles, and with infections that involve the breast, chest, or arm.

During the COVID pandemic many women may have delayed their screening mammograms for safety reasons, however, we don’t want you to skip your yearly mammogram. We also don’t want you to postpone your COVID vaccination if you have it scheduled as both are important for your health. Our staff and physicians will be happy to answer any questions you may have about your appointment."
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Agree with wendi above...but also wanted to add that you might want to postpone it for your own comfort, if you are feeling extra tender from swollen lymph nodes. I had swollen lymph nodes all up and down my neck and under my arms, extending across the sides of BOTH my breasts, and they were REALLY tender and I would not have wanted them mashed for a mammogram!!!

But if yours feel fine, then I'd probably go ahead!

I agree that it's probably okay to schedule and write off swollen lymph nodes to your Covid vaccine BUT, I would seriously consider postponing it in my own case. If I saw on my reading that swollen nodes were found, it would be a long year waiting for my next screening, even if I logically knew the vaccine to be the likely culprit. Again, do what is best for you with all the information available.

Disclosure - mammograms are stressful for me after several call-backs so it may color my response here
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If you had your second shot a week ago and aren't experiencing swollen lymph nodes now, you likely won't, since they aren't going to show up 3 weeks after your shot if you don't currently have symtoms. So I'd say you are fine to get your ultrasound if you want to schedule it.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would wait and reschedule for 4-6 weeks post vaccine (2nd shot) unless you are having a problem or have a history of breast cancer.
    K

I agree that it's probably fine to do now. Depending why they are doing the breast ultrasound in the first place. (Following up something like a cyst or a specific area they are watching- should definitely be ok- if they were following up a swollen lymph node seen previously then I would most likely definitely wait but assuming they are looking at something besides lymph nodes, an incidental swollen lymph node post-vax shouldn't be a problem or cause for follow up I would think. And like someone else said it may not even be swollen still if at all.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks all! I decided to go ahead and book now. The swelling I had post vax seems to have cleared up.

MIL was told to wait 6 weeks after her second shot to get a mammogram,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)