lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Random Cleaning Because DD is Back to Some In-Person Instruction Thread - 2021

Ordinarily, I'd have posted a "pre-holiday whole house cleanup" thread because both DH and DD would be out of the house and I could make as much of a mess as I needed to deep-clean, straighten, or reorganize the house in preparation for decorating and hosting.

Because *waves hands helplessly in true NYC-suburban understatement fashion* 2020, that didn't happen, although DH and I worked on transforming the 3rd floor loft area into usable space last March - it's been his office since then and there's very little chance that this will end any time soon, since his company doesn't have a clear return-to-in-person strategy yet.

Yes, some minor tidying did happen, and some "public" closet reorganizing also happened, but not the way I usually do it.

Now that DD has returned to partial in-person school (4 days per week, 4 hours per day in person plus the expectation of 2 hours virtually at home and 100% virtual on Wednesdays) we've accomplished the following:

• Put last random Christmas decorations (plus stuff from AZ) away under the stairs
    • Scrubbed 13 years' worth of gunk from the kitchen
    • Laundered cleanup tools (mop heads, old towels, dust cloths, etc.)
    • Regular laundry schedule to account for masks and socks

There are some tidy-up tasks for the dining room/5th grade classroom that I'll deal with on Monday, but it's been a pretty good week.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Bigger accomplishments:
    -I finally took my range hood apart and cleaned that.
    -bought some lazy susans and other storage things to organize the undersink areas, fridge and pantry
    -got the workbench organized with pegboard accessories and bins
    -we let the garage get cluttered when the weather turned so got that straightened up
    -cleaned the front porch (wipes down door, railings, ground)
    -rearranged stuff in the basement to make room for a dresser we don’t need now but will send with ds1 for his first apartment

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    ...I finally took my range hood apart and cleaned that. ...
    I feel like this is something DH and I should look into doing. Ours is ... well, the less we say about it, the better I feel.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Ugh, today needs to be a big cleaning day for me since my parents are arriving tomorrow! (They are driving up to close on their new condo here!! I am so excited!! I have not lived within a day’s drive of them in over 15 years!)

DH did a good cleaning/organizing job on the garage the other day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I so need a cleaning thread. I’ve noticed the clutter has accumulated in all the nooks and crannies of our house since no one is coming inside. It’s at the top of my list this week to get things back in order. I’m tackling my garage this weekend. With any luck I can get my shed done too.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I need to bust the clutter and tackle the garage. We need some hanging bike racks the kids can use without a lot of effort. And of course my laundry room that has become the world's largest catch-all. It’s a total wreck. And the mask and mitten bins.

Ok, I have a lot to do. check back in a month for me.
    K

This week, I can focus on clearing out the dining room/5th grade classroom and doing my paperwork for Girl Scouts. It's generally OK, but there are bits & pieces that I'm starting to find irritating.

What would be absolutely delightful is if council would open their financial document tab so I could start recording stuff.

I have my PayPal statement (will pull another one next month; I'll also figure out how much we made for Thinking Day - the math should've worked out to be earning $1.50 per attendee) and PDFs of all of my account statements, but there are also paper receipts from drive-thru bank deposits, curbside pickup orders for supplies and/or badges, and online orders for supplies and/or fun-patches that need to be tallied separately.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

SAHMIL is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Getting back to work full Time in the classroom has been way different than teaching from home . Remote teaching worked for me because I felt I had control in my life . Now I don’t and things I did during the day ( laundry. , dishes , walk dogs , etc ) are all piled up in the evening . It’s awful .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SAHMIL View Post
    Getting back to work full Time in the classroom has been way different than teaching from home . Remote teaching worked for me because I felt I had control in my life . Now I don’t and things I did during the day ( laundry. , dishes , walk dogs , etc ) are all piled up in the evening . It’s awful . ...
    I'm so sorry! This summer, I got DD on a regular daily task rotation to allow me to relax a little about things that she can handle herself, like bringing laundry downstairs and putting clean things away. It's helped quite a lot.

DH is still working from home, so we often schedule cleanup time, especially now that we're considering having work people come in to deal with mold (and possibly a full bathroom remodel of the "guest" bathroom that DD and I use because DH cleans the master bath with bleach.)
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)