petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Reactive hypoglycemia?

I had some bloodwork done yesterday and the Dr on call called me at 10 pm last night to tell me that my non-fasting 1 hr post-breakfast blood glucose was 49!
    I ate a banana before bedtime ( I don't usually eat after 7 pm, and in general the only fruit I eat is berries) and then chatted with my PC doc this morning. She thinks it was a fluke and is being dismissive but that is super low!! Google is telling me that a person can be reactive hypoglycemic and get a huge drop in blood sugar after a meal. Anyone know anything this? I'm thinking I need to get an endocrinology consult.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think I would ask for a repeat bloodwork before going to an endo. That way you know if it is a fluke or not.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do you have a friend with diabetes that would let you borrow a glucose meter? Home glucose meters are not as accurate as a blood draw but they might give you an idea of what your blood sugar is doing and you could get several data points? We'd share if you were local!

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks Bisous! I actually do have one; I ordered it a few months ago because I wanted to track my levels for the purpose of tweaking my diet but I never started!
    I don't know how high quality it is but I'll track for a week or so and see what happens.

BTW, does your DS have a continuous glucose monitor? I want one of those!!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have a CGM and we really love it. We use the Dexcom and to my knowledge it is the best thing out there. It has been absolutely life changing. I think any meter will probably work and if that's available, maybe you can experiment with checking at different intervals after eating? I would start there!