SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Dog owners: Stop chewing on blankets??

Help! Recently, our 1.5yo rescue giant yorkie has taken to chewing on all of the fleece dog blankets, hand towels, socks, etc. She has a ton of rubber chew toys. She has fleece braided toys. She has her favorites. I try to keep everything out of her reach, including her crate bedding, but my kids do not always comply. Every time she has the opportunity, she’ll grab something and start chewing. I’ll take it away, “uh uh!”, and replace it with an appropriate chew toy and “Yes!” She has destroyed so many fabric items. When they have the opportunity, our more active standard poodle will join in and play tug o’ war with her and they’ll shred a blanket in seconds. Any suggestions for dogs that like softer things?? She has destroyed “indestructible” plush dog toys and eats them. TIA, I hope!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SASM; 04-17-2021 at 07:45 AM.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Giant yorkie.

Our dog is also a "soft fuzzy things" dog. He loves soft toys but only really to rip them up and get the squeaker out (and eat bits of it in the process). He has no interest in hard or rubbery chew toys. So...we just buy cheapo soft toys often. Stuff pulled from the sales bin, Costco clearance dog toys, etc. When the squeaker comes out, we put them into old socks or old clothes (eg cut a sleeve off a shirt, drop in the squeaker, tie the open end closed) and let him rip them up, and then just toss in the trash. And he gets all this only under supervision so we can make sure he doesn't eat large chunks. The key is to let him have these frequently, so that he feels like he gets what he needs in terms of chewing.

For the blankets and stuff she's not allowed to chew, have you tried spraying with bitter apple?

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you!!

Yup...according to Embark, she’s 100% yorkie - 19#!! She’s absolutely HUGE!!

That’s an interesting idea. She doesn’t want a squeaker...she just wants to chew, destroy, and devour. It FLOORS me how quickly she can destroy and eat the non-edible material. She will eat ANYTHING. I am so afraid of a possible impaction. I completely forgot about bitter apple!! I will try to find that. Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!