jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Is there more definitive information about whether vaccinated people can spread Covid

At the beginning of the vaccine distribution reports were that it was not known if vaccinated people could pass Covid to others. Has that been tested and confirmed yet?

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No, because that’s a tricky question. Someone would have to test Positive for COVID, they got tracked back to the only person they had contact with, and have that Person be vaccinated. Then you would have to get that in some sort of database and get enough of those events to give you a statistically significant number. I don’t see that happening. IF we get enough people vaccinated and transmission drops on unvaccinated then we have that answer, but it will take enough people getting it. And since it fear my fellow citizens are 40% stupid I don’t know if we will get the answer.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Anecdotally, yes. But...that's anecdotal. It's based on the personal experience of a local researcher who runs a lab, got COVID post vax and spread to his wife. I trust that he's able to make reasonable deductions given his field of practice...but of course there's no way to actually confirm that.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Dear Pandemic did a more recent post summarizing the available data: https://dearpandemic.org/do-vaccines...-transmission/

Basically, this has been evaluated in the "real world" (in healthcare settings), so we can't extrapolate those observations to the general public, but all signs point in the right direction in terms of vaccination preventing both asymptomatic disease and transmission, so this is good news.

But always remember that this isn't 100%, so it's still POSSIBLE for a vaccinated person to transmit the virus, but being vaccinated does seem to make this much more unlikely. All of this isn't really a surprise based on what we know about vaccination in general, but it is a relief that the available data is telling us what we hoped to see. Hopefully all of this holds true...what is gonna get tricky is how variants are going to impact this in the long term.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you!! I’m still trying to figure out if we can safely see family this summer. We’re physically distanced from family so any visit would include sharing indoor spaces for several days. Masking is possible but if we’re sharing ventilation how effective will masks be? Fingers crossed everyone will be vaccinated by summer with the exception of my youngest. I’m feeling that I’m being irresponsible by changing our exposure before he’s vaccinated.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Thank you!! I’m still trying to figure out if we can safely see family this summer. We’re physically distanced from family so any visit would include sharing indoor spaces for several days. Masking is possible but if we’re sharing ventilation how effective will masks be? Fingers crossed everyone will be vaccinated by summer with the exception of my youngest. I’m feeling that I’m being irresponsible by changing our exposure before he’s vaccinated.
    We got together with family yesterday and were mostly outdoors but people masked up inside for ds2 (and he wore a mask too). I know kids their age get it but it is often mild- which I know isn’t a guarantee. But, we have a beach house booked all together in June and ds2 and my little nephews won’t be vaccinated. I doubt we will wear masks indoors for the vacation. I’m sure we will keep an eye on how things are going but it sure seems like the likelihood of transmission from vaccinated people is very low.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Keeping an eye on this issue too — like many others, I haven’t seen my NE family in well over a year. They are planning a beach vacation in NC this summer, followed by a few days at an AirBnB near me and the other grandparents. The challenge will be that all adults, and 16-y.o. DGD1, will be fully vaccinated by then, but 9 y.o. DGD2 obviously will not be. She is the highest risk member of their family so we will probably still limit all visiting to outdoors, everyone masked. Really hard to know what to do, and it’s unlikely that there will be any definitive answers by then.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A classmate of mine was fully vaccinated with Pfizer and contracted Covid. He was under quarantine for 2 weeks. Very mild symptoms - just a runny nose. He was very surprised to find out that he was positive (tests 2x/week for his job).