Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baseball bats

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Baseball bats

We’re shopping for a bat for DS1. Any baseball moms here? We found two bays in the correct size. One is $90 the other is $190. What’s the difference? DS1 is a recreational player so even the $90 bat is a lot to swallow.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The materials they're made of (aluminum bat vs. a composite bat)- the more expensive aluminum bats will be made of stronger alloys (ie. not dent as easily as the cheaper bats), the weight, the balance (heavier towards the hands or towards the barrel), vibration when you hit the ball - some will have much greater vibration in the hands. Make sure your son swings the bats before you buy. A too heavy bat will make a slow swing and much harder for him to hit the ball. Also, if he is playing in a USA Baseball league, make sure it meets regulations.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do you have a play it again sports? Garage sales?

There is probably a guide online for size and yes it shouldn't be too heavy.

For rec baseball don't spend too much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I remember there’s a special seal/code it needs to have on the bat to be accepted, even in rec ball here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Baseball mom and coach. My philosophy is that for rec and leagues that are more about learning, buy the cheaper bat! If he can hit with a basic bat, he can hit with a hot bat. It's better to learn the right mechanics than have a ball fly off the bat with improper form. And yes everyone is right about needing the right "stamp" on the bat. If it is little league, you will probably need the "USA Baseball" stamp. There are also sometimes limits on the "drop" of the bat which is the ratio of length to weight. Read the league restrictions on bats before buying.
    DD
    DS

Fellow new baseball mom. I got DS2’s baseball bat from my neighborhood buy/sell. I ran it by his coach to be sure if it was ok, and it’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

How old is your son and what leagues is he in? Baseball bats are crazy... my boys have very expensive ones, but my husband's hobby is also watching baseball reviews... so he likes this stuff. Lmk what age and skill level he is and I can ask my husband for recommendations. He coaches and parents ask him quite often what to get.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you for all the advice. I really wish we had someone to borrow from but we struck out on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    How old is your son and what leagues is he in? Baseball bats are crazy... my boys have very expensive ones, but my husband's hobby is also watching baseball reviews... so he likes this stuff. Lmk what age and skill level he is and I can ask my husband for recommendations. He coaches and parents ask him quite often what to get.
    He’s a middle schooler playing at school. They want them to have their own bats due to Covid. I ended up getting him the second to the cheapest option at our local sports store. He’s never played before and I couldn’t stomach the $100+ bats for what will likely be 7 weeks of play.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

He will be good with that bat. For a non travel team it will be completely fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In the future, if your DS plays for a more competitive league and you want the better bat, we have found getting last years model at Dicks has been cost effective. I also ordered a bat once from cheapbats.com (I kid you not). My older 2 play in travel leagues and have “fancy” bats but we have always gotten them for a reduced price.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast