Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What do you put under your dog crate?

Hi everyone,
    We are welcoming an Australian labradoodle to our family soon and are planning to crate train. We got the metal crates and also have new hard wood floors. What do you use between the crate and the floor to protect the wood from scratching and possible potty accidents? Also, any recommendations for puppy beds to go in the crate that won't get chewed up? TIA

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default What do you put under your dog crate?

We have a basic bed like this one from Pets Smart and we put it in his crate. It is the one bed our dog has not chewed up; he chewed up other mats we put around our house so we just stopped buying them. He is a 17lb. mix of Dachshund/Terrier/Chihuahua. We initially just had an old moving blanket in the crate for the first few months we had our dog though; probably to make sure he wouldn’t fully destroy it.

I would probably get a rubber mat to put under the crate as well.

I saw this one from Bully Dog Beds a few months back and thought about ordering one but haven’t because he is okay on our old couch in our bonus room, but he is only 17lbs.

We had a dog bed from Costco with our old lab and it worked just fine but she was well past the chewing stage when we finally got it for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our metal crate has plastic feet on the bottom so the metal doesn't sit on the hardwood. It also has a plastic tray liner so any accidents are contained to the tray. If your's doesn't have feet or a tray, you could put a towel under it so any accidents would be absorbed and a towel is also easy to wash.

Same with in the crate. You can use old blankets or towels - not all puppies will chew them. If yours does, you can also get K9 Ballistic dog beds https://k9ballistics.com/collections...SAAEgIsXfD_BwE . I have heard good things - I've never tried them as my dog never tried to chew his bed.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom_hanna View Post
    Our metal crate has plastic feet on the bottom so the metal doesn't sit on the hardwood. It also has a plastic tray liner so any accidents are contained to the tray. If your's doesn't have feet or a tray, you could put a towel under it so any accidents would be absorbed and a towel is also easy to wash.

Same with in the crate. You can use old blankets or towels - not all puppies will chew them. If yours does, you can also get K9 Ballistic dog beds https://k9ballistics.com/collections...SAAEgIsXfD_BwE . I have heard good things - I've never tried them as my dog never tried to chew his bed.

You'll love your new puppy. We also have an Australian Labradoodle. We just threw old towels and blankets in the crate. It's easier to clean or throw away if there are accidents. To this day, she still prefers to lay on a blanket or towel instead of her dog bed.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Under the crate I use carpet squares. That helps insulate the crate a bit, keep it from scratching the floors and keeps it from moving. In the crate, I use a foam kitchen mat or bath mat. They're cheap and easily replaced. If I put a bed in it, Princess digs to fluff it up... until she rips it. As long as there is insulation under her crate, she isnt cold and doesnt complain.

TBH, I would not put anything IN the crate until you know whether your puppy is a chewer etc. fluffy beds can be something to eat or pee on.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

AmyZ is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We bought a large piece of linoleum at Lowes that looks like hardwood. Works perfectly.

We recently bought a dog bed from K9 Ballistics, and it is great. I might get a mat for inside the crate too. However, our pup runs hot so often he prefers the cold plastic of the crate.
    Our string quartet is complete

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AmyZ View Post
    We bought a large piece of linoleum at Lowes that looks like hardwood. Works perfectly.
    This. The linoleum looks almost exactly like our hardware floor so it blends in almost seamlessly. We don't have a crate but I use the linoleum under my dog's food and water bowls.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have a bath mat under our crate. There’s a plastic removable tray in the bottom of the crate, under the grate. That protects the floor from accidents, and the bath mat is back up and protects the floor from scuffs.

Agree with PP that old blankets and towels are a good start while you are getting them know your dog’s digging and chewing habits.