sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default IDEA and SAT--transportation?

Does anyone know if the federal law regarding transportation of students with IEPs applies to the SAT exam? Our district just sent a note that my because my DS has accommodations (extra time), he has to take the SAT at a different site. That means he won't be able to walk (as he does for his home school, the normal site), and providing transportation is a burden for our family.

Does the law about providing transport for students apply to the SAT? I think it normally would not, but our district administers the test on campus on a regular school day. Most juniors who have chosen to take the test are taking it at their home sites, like a regular school day. So would the law apply in this case?
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Definitely call and ask. I do know that transportation is used for things beyond transport to/from school, but we have never utilized it. Definitely talk to the district and explain the situation.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    Definitely call and ask. I do know that transportation is used for things beyond transport to/from school, but we have never utilized it. Definitely talk to the district and explain the situation.
    Oh, I have no delusions that the district will do anything; that's why I'm trying to find out what the LAW actually says.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default IDEA and SAT--transportation?

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Oh, I have no delusions that the district will do anything; that's why I'm trying to find out what the LAW actually says.
    It depends what is written in the IEP for transport.

At my school, transportation is only for students who don’t attend their residential school. So some students do not have transport as they live nearby. We also have to specify is it home to school of attendance, or is it residential school to school of attendance meaning parents have to take them to local school to get the bus, which is a hassle so we don’t put that option.

Call and ask though, as there may be other students that need to take it at the other location and school is organizing a bus. Or maybe you could car pool with other families. DS’s school transports for school team sports as it’s a magnet and they don’t have sports. They bus kids on the team to residential school to go to practice.

However, you might be better off making own transport arrangements, especially if the SATs are soon, as if nothing is in the IEP about transportation, you might have to hold a meeting to get it sorted in time

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 04-19-2021 at 12:44 AM.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just reread the original post. So he does not normally get any type of transportation to school? Does his IEP state anything for transportation? If it states something about "transportation by the district", then you probably have a case, if not, I'm not sure. Try contacting your SEPAC.

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The school could not provide the test accommodations and had to move it so they should be responsible for transportation.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wouldn’t bother trying to get the district to transport and would instead ask around for a favor from a friend or relative.
    K

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am sorry, I do not know what the law says. I would imagine it is not this specific, but really don't know. However, if I were in this situation, I would make every effort to take my child personally or find someone who could. Its just not worth a mess up of someone not showing, messing up an address, etc. I have dealt with a lot of "mess ups", so maybe it is not a concern in your case.

ETA: Not sure if this is for you or someone else, but of course if the family just cannot provide the transportation or find someone who can, that is another story. I honestly think I would try to fight for accommodations at the home school, as opposed to transportation to the other site, but I could be off since I am sure there are details I do not kjnow.
    Last edited by JustMe; 04-19-2021 at 12:39 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hmm. I don't know about this. I know that for DS1, he needs essentially medical accommodations for his type 1 diabetes. Despite having a 504 he needed to apply separately to the college board for those accommodations and it wasn't a given that they'd be approved. Which makes me think that it is an entirely separate process and he might not be protected. Now, you may be able to challenge it. I've seen two separate ways that challenging these works. In the first case, the school/entity knows all along that they are violating the law but they require you to "call" them on it before they'll do it. Or you'll have to fight the powers to get new protections and that's a really slow going road. In my experience, there is a lot of both ignorance and willful ignorance regarding enforcement of accommodations. It is sometimes hard to tease out the two.

Let us know what you discover!

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It may come under "Related Services" in IDEA.