Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default COVID +Disney+June 2021

Usually when my family is going, someone else here is going too. We have reservations and another family is booked alongside us. We booked ours so that they’re refundable, but they did not. I’m a little bit concerned about the numbers.

Is anyone else planning to go this June and how are you feeling about the variants, unvaccinated tween/teens?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We are going last week of June/first week of July. We too booked fully refundable. We are nervous especially as it appears they have quietly increased park capacity. June park reservations were almost fully booked the other day and then the whole month went to fully available hours later (my brother and I were trying to sync up a few days and we couldn’t at 1pm and then by 8pm the entire calendar for June was green). We’ve been very up front with our kids that we will cancel if the infection rate or lack of protocols making going a stupid risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default COVID +Disney+June 2021

Just something to think about (which may not impact you). My understanding is that masks are still required. While generally a good thing - it’s hot and miserable walking around WDW with a mask and without being able to drink.

DD and I went to Disney springs for an hour last year when it was dead empty/before the parks reopened. While we felt totally safe it was so hot we left way before we planned to do so. (We were on our way further south and it wasn’t much out of the way. Deal was we would leave if I thought too crowded or unsafe.)

I also know of someone who went Spring Break and regretted it. Way more crowded than she was led to believe, uncomfortable with masks in the heat, no Fast Passes etc.

Doesn’t totally mean I wouldn’t go but I’d make sure your expectations are realistic. Good luck deciding. I’m sure it’s not easy.

Last edited by erosenst; 04-18-2021 at 09:26 PM.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by erosenst View Post
    Just something to think about (which may not impact you). My understanding is that masks are still required. While generally a good thing - it’s hot and miserable walking around WDW with a mask and without being able to drink.

DD and I went to Disney springs for an hour last year when it was dead empty/before the parks reopened. While we felt totally safe it was so hot we left way before we planned to do so. (We were on our way further south and it wasn’t much out of the way. Deal was we would leave if I thought too crowded or unsafe.)

I also know of someone who went Spring Break and regretted it. Say more crowded than she was led to believe, uncomfortable with masks in the heat, no Fast Passes etc.

Doesn’t totally mean I wouldn’t go but I’d make sure your expectations are realistic. Good luck deciding. I’m sure it’s not easy.

Yes! Make sure your expectations are realistic! We were supposed to go last year 5 days after they shut down. We got refunds on everything, the family we went with decided not to. They went this March and said that it wasn't as much fun as they were hoping because of the long waits because of no fast passes. They basically just spent time walking around trying to find the shortest lines and those were an hour long. I think they said they rode about 2 or 3 rides by noon not he day DS was texting with his friend.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We've got plans around mid-June. My friends who have been have made me feel fairly comfortable going. DH and I will both be fully vaccinated, and its possibly our two oldest kid will be depending on Pfizer timing for 12-15. So, my biggest worry is DD2, but I'm hopeful that with us vaccinated, we'll be helping create the herd for her.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Yes! Make sure your expectations are realistic! We were supposed to go last year 5 days after they shut down. We got refunds on everything, the family we went with decided not to. They went this March and said that it wasn't as much fun as they were hoping because of the long waits because of no fast passes. They basically just spent time walking around trying to find the shortest lines and those were an hour long. I think they said they rode about 2 or 3 rides by noon not he day DS was texting with his friend.
    It sounds like your friends had unrealistic expectations. It sounds like any amusement park. Fast passes (and fast track, Express Passes...at other parks) are certainly nice but amusement parks have lines. They probably would have gotten on more if they just settled into lines and maybe started in the back of the park working counter clockwise. Sometimes you have to go old school and just tackle it like a normal park. But, it’s a good reminder that things really are different now!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

As a family, I feel like we've gotten good at Covid travel out of necessity due to kids sports traveling all over the Southeast last fall and this spring. Our kids know we will leave a situation if it doesn't feel safe - too crowded, no masks. I've heard WDW enforces masks, crowds may be more of an issue come June. The key is probably managing expectations for wait times, lack of some Disney activities and the possibility of walking away. The attitude feels like it's shifting regarding Covid precautions - DH even reported hit or miss masking in Charlotte this weekend in their hotel. WDW may feel better than the surrounding area in Florida for you in case you plan to venture offsite. Honestly it's such a personal comfort level type of thing.

We traveled to Williamsburg over spring break and went to Busch Gardens for a day. It felt fine - 95% of people wore masks appropriately and there was separation in lines for the most part. They had hand sanitizer everywhere.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I’m still hemming and hawing about this trip. Are cases going up with the variants enough to cancel? Sadly, I feel like it may mean the loss of these friends if we back out. That’s not a good feeling.

I appreciate all the perspectives and info so keep them coming!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

With outdoor mask requirements being lifted there will be more pushback on mask wearing. I would worry that Disney would follow and drop their requirements. I would have no way of knowing if the people surrounding us in lines have been vaccinated or not. How will your DC feel about mask wearing in the heat if everyone around them are not masked?
    Last edited by jgenie; 04-29-2021 at 10:31 AM.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    I’m still hemming and hawing about this trip. Are cases going up with the variants enough to cancel? Sadly, I feel like it may mean the loss of these friends if we back out. That’s not a good feeling.

I appreciate all the perspectives and info so keep them coming!

For me, variant increase would be enough to cancel with unvaccinated kids. That said, I don't enjoy FL in the summer so that's probably weighing in on my decision subconsciously. DH had a coworker that just got back from Disney. She's a Disney pro and went in with reasonable expectations knowing what was going on. She got back and said it was the worst decision she's ever made as a parent. Looking back she said she would have waited. I didn't get any details from DH, because he's a man and doesn't want the details so I don't really know what the problem was. I think it just really depends on what your purpose of the trip is. Do you want to do something with these friends? Do you want to get away? Are you ok with not getting much done at Disney and not having the typical "Disney" experience for large amounts of money? Is there something else you could do instead that you would enjoy more?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast