Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Life Skills

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Oh my gosh my poor 17yo is hopelessly behind on like 90% of these skills! He's super ADHD and has major executive functioning issues. I don't lament this thread and I'm going through it with a notebook! He doesn't pick up on these things very quickly. I'd actually say that his 13yo brother is more savvy than he is. But this list will get me started. If they are slow learners, that just means they need more exposure and more direct explicit instruction right? I admit I feel stressed sometimes about sending my 17yo out into the world in a little over a year. Who knew that redshirting him in K would be as big an advantage right now, lol. I feel like having him here at home this past year has felt like it hasn't improved his self-reliance skills.
    My 4 yr old has more life skills than my ADHD 9 yr old. LOL.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think some of these are very specific to your lifestyle and where you live, I don't think checks will be a thing in 5 years, I have written about 5 in the last few years, even fund raising and sports use e transfers. Someone mentioned knowing how to find a speciality grocery store, we would not have any reason for that.

I think giving your kids freedom, guidance when necessary, let them fail and make mistakes, figure out things etc. There is no way every family will have similar items on this list.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Don't feel bad! These are goals, and everyone gets there at different rates. But it should be a head's up - pay attention to what you're doing... ie, "I;m going to change the smoke alarm batteries today. The kids should help and we'll talk about why it's important".
    I love this perspective.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Don't feel bad! These are goals, and everyone gets there at different rates. But it should be a head's up - pay attention to what you're doing... ie, "I;m going to change the smoke alarm batteries today. The kids should help and we'll talk about why it's important".
    It’s also a heads up that they will soon be making the choices they watch us make. Having a couple of drinks with dinner then driving home. Checking a quick text while driving. Losing patience with other drivers while driving. Trying to drive while holding food or drink.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Great perspective.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    My 4 yr old has more life skills than my ADHD 9 yr old. LOL.
    Petesgirl, you'll get a kick out of this. When DS2 was 3 he would help DS1 button and unbutton his church shirt because he was faster at it, lol! They learned how to ride bikes and tie shoes at the same time and it is still that way!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How to create a budget and what % of your take home pay should go to housing, car, food, etc.
    How to write a check. While I hardly write them, I do encounter places that only accept checks every once and a while.
    What you go into a bank for (why type of transactions happen at a bank).
    How to research/vet contractors/repair people so they get someone insured and bonded, with good reviews (beyond Yelp).
    Where my/DHs personal important paperwork is kept, and our will.
    What is affirmative consent and how to take care of their sexual/reproductive health.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    How to create a budget and what % of your take home pay should go to housing, car, food, etc.
    How to write a check. While I hardly write them, I do encounter places that only accept checks every once and a while.
    What you go into a bank for (why type of transactions happen at a bank).
    How to research/vet contractors/repair people so they get someone insured and bonded, with good reviews (beyond Yelp).
    Where my/DHs personal important paperwork is kept, and our will.
    What is affirmative consent and how to take care of their sexual/reproductive health.
    i totally agree with all of this but especially the bolded. We should be talking about this with our kids more. We can’t risk letting them learn this from TV, their friends or online. Consideration and Respect for their partners (rather than viewing their partner as disposable) should be emphasized as well as the potential consequences of their actions.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7