Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default How to deal with school's early lunchtime?

Our latest Covid battle. Ds's school goes to four days hybrid next week. Because of lack of space with the additional kids on campus, they are changing from three lunches to four lunches. My kid drew first lunch - which has him going to "lunch" at 9:30AM. I'm really at a loss. So - our normal breakfast is at 6:30. Then first class is 7:30-9:30, then lunch, then two classes with dismissal at 2pm. (To be clear, DS is virtual, but has to follow that schedule even though he's not physically in the building. This is middle school.)
    The only thing I can think to do is go to a four-meal a day kind of schedule - no way he's going to go from that lunchtime to a 6:30 dinner. We can't really push dinner later, as he's in bed at 8-8:15.

Any suggestions?

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would treat the 9:30 time as a snack time, like elementary recess, then do a bigger lunch meal after school at 2. The gap between a noon lunch and 6-6:30 dinner here is too long for my kids so they usually snack heavily around 2 anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Our latest Covid battle. Ds's school goes to four days hybrid next week. Because of lack of space with the additional kids on campus, they are changing from three lunches to four lunches. My kid drew first lunch - which has him going to "lunch" at 9:30AM. I'm really at a loss. So - our normal breakfast is at 6:30. Then first class is 7:30-9:30, then lunch, then two classes with dismissal at 2pm. (To be clear, DS is virtual, but has to follow that schedule even though he's not physically in the building. This is middle school.)
    The only thing I can think to do is go to a four-meal a day kind of schedule - no way he's going to go from that lunchtime to a 6:30 dinner. We can't really push dinner later, as he's in bed at 8-8:15.

Any suggestions?
    Since he’s home can he eat a snack later in the day while he’s in class? Otherwise I’d just do a very heavy snack at 2 or another small lunch depending on what you feed him for his early lunch.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How old is he and how "live" are his virtual classes? If he's on video pretty much the whole time, then I agree with PPs to use 9:30 as snack time and then he will just have to eat a late lunch at 2.

However, if he's not on camera the whole time, I'd have an easy "grab and go" lunch available for him to eat when he has time to fit it in (in addition to 9:30 snacktime). It could be anything easy to eat quickly, or to eat while watching a class video or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    How old is he and how "live" are his virtual classes? If he's on video pretty much the whole time, then I agree with PPs to use 9:30 as snack time and then he will just have to eat a late lunch at 2.

However, if he's not on camera the whole time, I'd have an easy "grab and go" lunch available for him to eat when he has time to fit it in (in addition to 9:30 snacktime). It could be anything easy to eat quickly, or to eat while watching a class video or whatever.
    Yes to this. I teach a college class online that starts at 12:30, and I’m totally fine with my students eating during class. Some have back to back classes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So he can't eat in between 9:30 and 2pm? My kids would not be able not be able to handle that. I agree with seeing if there is some kind of unobtrusive snack he can eat while still in class since he is learning online. As far as dinner, I guess making the lunch lighter and the snack more substantial.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    I would treat the 9:30 time as a snack time, like elementary recess, then do a bigger lunch meal after school at 2. The gap between a noon lunch and 6-6:30 dinner here is too long for my kids so they usually snack heavily around 2 anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    This is probably what I'd do. Though I think your suggestion for 4 meals a day wouldn't be terrible either! FWIW, my kids never used to eat lunch at school regardless of what time lunch was (though it was definitely never as early as 9:30! That's super early!) They'd come home with full lunch boxes regardless and then eat a huge after school snack that was pretty much a meal. Then a later dinner. There are lots of good suggestions in this thread!

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 8th graders lunch is 10:15 (or earlier if it is an early release schedule). She is also doing cyber so she eats breakfast at 7:30 while she logs in for attendance, has a small snack lunch at 10:15 (usually cheese, nuts, veggies) then another substantial
    Snack (apples with peanut butter and pretzels) or small lunch (leftovers) when she finishes between 2-2:30, then we eat dinner around 6:30 most nights. It’s a pain but she makes it work. My 6th grader tends to have several snacks throughout the day (her teacher gives screen breaks so my daughter treats them as snack breaks). It doesn’t deter her from eating her regular meals so I just go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If the state makes HS go back FT, the district says the most feasible plan currently is to dismiss at 1pm and have lunch at home. So students will be in school from 7:30am - 1pm with no food breaks. DD1's bus will get there at 6:50 and she isnt much of a morning person so she used to grab something upon arrival at school at 7:20 for breakfast. That would no longer happen. She is VERY unhappy with that plan!!!

If he's virtual, I agree to just let him have something while in class. Make sure his mic is off, make it as quick as possible and make it work. No one likes to have kids eating during 'class' but with a schedule like that, I"m sure he wont be the only one!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

My kids would probably sleep later and have nothing to eat before class at 7:30. Then they'd have breakfast at 9:30 and lunch at 2pm.

My 7th grader is in person daily and he has breakfast at home about 7:15. His lunch is 11:15 and he does not make it to a 5pm dinner without a snack after school. It's just too long.
    Kris