Default Omg give them the f'ing house!!!

My parents have been trying to by a condo since last August/September. The sellers have jerked them along with extending the completion date, making errors during building, etc. The mortgage company told them they could close last Wednesday, so they drove 2 days to get here to close. Now they still don't have a closing date, mortgage company and lawyers are saying they "can't prove they don't don't have a lein on their current house" and sellers are threatening to keep their deposit and sell their condo to someone else. My parents have a totally paid for house that they have buyers for to close in June, $190K in the bank, and a million dollars in stocks. It is a $340K condo they have already put 17K down on and were planning to put the rest of 20% down then pay off in a few months once their other house closes. And they can't schedule a closing date because after calls to the city, county, insurance company, etc. who all said they have no records of a lein on the house the attorney still isn't satisfied?!?!?

I think the attorneys are going to work it out. And if they don't, we probably have a way to get the cash to pay for it with a few phone calls (can't sell stocks in time to meet the deadline seller has given, so have to borrow cash from family). But OMG if my parents in this situation can't buy a house who the F can??? And how do you prove a negative? They've proven they paid off their previous mortgage, but attorney says they need to prove they didn't get another one.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Ugh how frustrating!
    Can they pull a credit report to show that they have no outstanding mortgage liability?
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

Quote Originally Posted by truly scrumptious View Post
    Ugh how frustrating!
    Can they pull a credit report to show that they have no outstanding mortgage liability?
    They have done that. And shown the clear deed to the house. And had the original mortgage company confirm it was paid off. And their insurance company told them there was no mortgage. And they've shown statements from all their bank accounts.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

I can't imagine how frustrated you all must be. It feels like someone is simply creating drama and difficulty. Hope it all gets worked out sooner rather than later.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yeah, your point about if they can't get the house, how can anyone is a really good one. I wonder if the sellers are hoping to resell for even more. Prices around me have been rising through the roof. What would have been sold in Fall last year is over 100K more. It seems VERY shady what is going on. I'm so glad your parents seem to have the help they need so they won't lose this place!

I agree with Bisous that this sounds suspicious, like the seller is deliberately trying to sabotage this deal so they can sell higher. Hope your parents get the house!
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Yeah, your point about if they can't get the house, how can anyone is a really good one. I wonder if the sellers are hoping to resell for even more. Prices around me have been rising through the roof. What would have been sold in Fall last year is over 100K more. It seems VERY shady what is going on. I'm so glad your parents seem to have the help they need so they won't lose this place!
    It is new construction that they set the price for last fall, and that wouldn’t surprise me! I think it is all going to work out fine, but I will definitely never work with that bank or attorney’s office again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17