Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Hope it works out. A friend, who raised 3 Eagle Scouts, said that many kids held bike rodeos. They were easy, successful and counted as their project. Just passing that ice in if you need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Thank you! I want to pass that along but what is a bike rodeo? One of the ideas he has heard about is a bike safety event for the community. I think he'd be really successful at that one and I think there is a need in our community. Is that similar to a bike rodeo?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Thank you! I want to pass that along but what is a bike rodeo? One of the ideas he has heard about is a bike safety event for the community. I think he'd be really successful at that one and I think there is a need in our community. Is that similar to a bike rodeo?
    Yep!
    “A Bike Rodeo is usually a bicycle safety clinic featuring bike safety inspections (and optionally quick tune-ups), and a safety lecture about the rules of the road (10 to 15 minutes). This is followed by a ride on a miniature "chalk street" course set up in a parking lot where young cyclists are shown where and how to apply the rules”

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetyS...cycleRodeo.htm

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Yep!
    “A Bike Rodeo is usually a bicycle safety clinic featuring bike safety inspections (and optionally quick tune-ups), and a safety lecture about the rules of the road (10 to 15 minutes). This is followed by a ride on a miniature "chalk street" course set up in a parking lot where young cyclists are shown where and how to apply the rules”

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetyS...cycleRodeo.htm

Love it!!!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Great update!

An event is a great way to go for the Eagle project. It takes planning and execution but isn’t a long term effort with follow up needed.
    K

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Update again...Just submitted an extension request. We'll see if they accept. He just needs a project and he really wants to finish. He has a letter from a doctor that explains his diagnoses and when I see it on paper, I recognize that he really has been disadvantaged and I hope the extension is granted. He has type 1 diabetes and ADHD and has had them for over a decade. He suffered from acute Anxiety and Depression during COVID. Put together it makes me realize that his "achievements" of carrying on during the past year, getting great grades and being a pretty decent person are quite the accomplishment in an of themselves. I hope he is granted the extension but we've come to a place of peace that he's done his best and now it is in other people's hands. Thank you for the encouragement. I've stepped WAY back (and stayed there) and this came from him. It was the right way to handle it whatever happens!
    I hope it works out for him. I wanted to give you this Eagle project idea because it was a pretty easy one. It’s what ds1 did this summer and we just celebrated his court of honor 2 weeks ago.

Ds1 contacted the local nonprofit most active with the homeless in our city. In our case that was Catholic Charities. They suggested him creating backpacks with survival basics that they could give away. He made a presentation to 3 companies, raised $2500, and then called around asking for donations of stuff. Landsend gave him some seconds backpacks and a reduction on cost for more backpacks. He had a list of stuff Catholic Charities wanted in their backpacks like gloves, hats, tshirts, socks and toiletries. Another company donated leftover swag tshirts. He asked his troop to help cut off tags and fill the backpacks and then load them into his car. They got it done in a couple of hours this summer before he delivered them over to Catholic Charities. It was really appreciated by Catholic Charities and it was pretty easy project to plan for and execute. The hardest part was planning for and doing the fundraiser presentations.

I just wanted to throw that out there because you’ll need a project that is relatively simple during Covid-times and not too overwhelming to throw together in a short while if the extension is granted. Best of luck to your son!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5