Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would push him to pick a project and complete it. Having this under his belt will be great in the future. Jobs and driving can be done later. He only has the next 6 months to get this done. I think it will be a big boost to his self confidence too.
    Last edited by jgenie; 04-28-2021 at 08:43 PM.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I took the Silver Award and Gold Award Advisor trainings for Girl Scouts last summer and the one thing that the trainer emphasized with these kinds of awards projects is that the Scout completing them should be passionate about their issue, highly organized with respect to time & assistance, and self-motivated.

It's my opinion that, based on what you've written here, your DS1 doesn't have this kind of drive and should focus on getting the other parts of his life together instead. Either way, it's going to be a big project, whether it's self-care or a long-term thing for your community, and he should be fully invested in it first.
    This is interesting. Part of why I wrote about his mental health status is because I think it is a reason for describing why he needs more of a nudge than he might otherwise. I have sat on a few Eagle boards and I recognize that it should be self-directed. But I do think that people with challenges need a little more support. But I suppose I'm not entirely sure how much? I think in this case, all he needs is a few reminders. He won't be on par with the finest youth that I've seen come through the program, but he will qualify in nearly every respect. He'll have done the work...

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I updated my OP. I realized that the biggest problem right now is not whether or not to nudge DS1 to the Eagle project (which I don't think will take much nudging!) It is convincing DH that we should keep him in scouting. I think the posts here convinced me to at least do that! I start working in earnest on that!

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My vote is for the Eagle project, mostly because of the time limit. He can get a summer job or learn to drive at any time, but if he misses the opportunity for the Eagle, there are no re-dos (as other posters have mentioned).
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I updated my OP. I realized that the biggest problem right now is not whether or not to nudge DS1 to the Eagle project (which I don't think will take much nudging!) It is convincing DH that we should keep him in scouting. I think the posts here convinced me to at least do that! I start working in earnest on that!
    They really stand out on resumes. I interviewed a manager once who told me that at another job, he was helping his boss sort through a large stack of resumes. The boss said, “ take out all the resumes of people who achieved Eagle Rank and create a separate pile. Then throw all the other ones away. I only want people who have achieved Eagle Rank.” I’ve heard they can make a difference when applying fir colleges too. Tell your DH to ask around. Eagle Rank is respected. If your son only has the project to finish it would be such a waste to stop now!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Get his Eagle because it’s time bound. He can learn to drive or get a job anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    They really stand out on resumes. I interviewed a manager once who told me that at another job, he was helping his boss sort through a large stack of resumes. The boss said, “ take out all the resumes of people who achieved Eagle Rank and create a separate pile. Then throw all the other ones away. I only want people who have achieved Eagle Rank.” I’ve heard they can make a difference when applying fir colleges too. Tell your DH to ask around. Eagle Rank is respected. If your son only has the project to finish it would be such a waste to stop now!
    So get rid of all the women? Sorry, couldn't resist! (I know BSA is inclusive now but not sure if it's been long enough for females to have been able to earn it).
    I do think there are other ways to show commitment and excellence though- not all kids are lucky enough to live where there are good scout troops so there are lots of valid reasons why someone doesn't achieve that.

Your dh is making a weird stand, OP. Please keep having your ds1's back and see this through to the end. It's not that much longer and it will be something he can always know he accomplished.

amyx4 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    So get rid of all the women? Sorry, couldn't resist! (I know BSA is inclusive now but not sure if it's been long enough for females to have been able to earn it).
    I do think there are other ways to show commitment and excellence though- not all kids are lucky enough to live where there are good scout troops so there are lots of valid reasons why someone doesn't achieve that.
    The first females to earn Eagle Scout where just this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by amyx4 View Post
    The first females to earn Eagle Scout where just this spring.
    Thanks! I figured it was getting close.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast