Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    amyx4 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

You may already know this but there are extensions (past their eighteenth birthday) for document disabilities and depending on where you live there are also deadline extensions due to Covid. Your council will have more details. I would still encourage him to finish as close to his birthday as possible.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    This is interesting. Part of why I wrote about his mental health status is because I think it is a reason for describing why he needs more of a nudge than he might otherwise. I have sat on a few Eagle boards and I recognize that it should be self-directed. But I do think that people with challenges need a little more support. But I suppose I'm not entirely sure how much? I think in this case, all he needs is a few reminders. He won't be on par with the finest youth that I've seen come through the program, but he will qualify in nearly every respect. He'll have done the work...
    I think, based on what you've described I would change my answer: if he can get his project completed in 6 months with the nudges he seems to need, he should go for it. Does he have a project in mind?

It's a little different because Girl Scouts working on Gold Awards have until September 30th following Senior year of high school to complete their 80 hours of active leadership on their projects, which have to be approved through the National system, goGold, but they won't get their project approved or complete the work if they don't have a lot of internal drive. The other part of Gold Award projects is that they need to be self-sustaining; those kinds of logistics can be challenging if someone's not motivated.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    So get rid of all the women? Sorry, couldn't resist! (I know BSA is inclusive now but not sure if it's been long enough for females to have been able to earn it)...
    I know a few female BSA Scouts who've earned Eagle. In fact, there's one Girl Scout in my service unit who's a member of both BSA and GSUSA ... and she's earned both Eagle and the Gold Award.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I know a few female BSA Scouts who've earned Eagle. In fact, there's one Girl Scout in my service unit who's a member of both BSA and GSUSA ... and she's earned both Eagle and the Gold Award.
    It's still a relatively recent phenomenon so in the job hunting crowd, there probably haven't been many women that would have had the chance to have eagle Scout on their resume yet.

It's still a relatively recent phenomenon so in the job hunting crowd, there probably haven't been many women that would have had the chance to have eagle Scout on their resume yet.
    I generally agree.

I'd like to point out that, for women who were Girl Scouts, the Gold Award also requires an internal drive and project management skills. In today's world, the focus on self-sustainability should also be a plus to future college admissions boards and hiring managers.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for all your opinions. Last night they had a service activity (outside and masked) and it was such a boost for both of my boys. They NEED this right now. Outdoors, safe, with other kids, and helping people is pretty much the antidote to the zoom existence they live for school. I love the idea of him working through a project. I don't think he'll need much of a nudge and I'm certain he can finish by the end of summer, if not much earlier. He has some ideas for projects, mostly in conservation and he also has some city leaders that have many needs. Having sat on several Eagle boards and helping other Eagles with the process (I'm the Advancement Chair on our committee) I know he'll ace the paperwork and the interview. He's very mired down in life right now and gentle suggestions are what's needed. This is in direct contrast to DS2 who has been super motivated since age 6 or so! He used to plan out the dreaded "parent" projects from elementary school (dioramas and the like) ahead of time and gave DH and I a schedule, lol. DS1 is not that kid. But honestly if not for the fog of an acute anxiety crisis, OCD episode right now he'd probably not even need a nudge...But DH wanting him to beg for the opportunity to be in scouts is not realistic and we had a frank talk about it yesterday. I'm certain I can prevail on this! (DH is not the biggest fan of scouts. He's a "rugged individualist" who did scouts as a kid but never got really into it and definitely wasn't an Eagle scout, lol!)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

So get rid of all the women? Sorry, couldn't resist! (I know BSA is inclusive now but not sure if it's been long enough for females to have been able to earn it).
    I do think there are other ways to show commitment and excellence though- not all kids are lucky enough to live where there are good scout troops so there are lots of valid reasons why someone doesn't achieve that.
    I THOUGHT THE SAME THING! My HR brain immediately thought, “That’s discrimination!” But his point was how highly the achievement is regarded.

I completely agree with you that there are so many other ways to distinguish one’s self. Not only do good troops not exist everywhere, but scouting is expensive. Many troops have equipment that can be borrowed or funds for kids less privileged, but not all. And all the requirements mean a scout to has to get to those activities somehow, and well-equipped. How could a single parent afford the time and money? But the more I get to understand what all is involved, the requirements to get to Eagle Scout really provide excellent experience in so many areas of life. The program does create a well-rounded kid, for those able to participate.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by amyx4 View Post
    The first females to earn Eagle Scout where just this spring.
    My daughter is determined to be one of the first in our area.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I THOUGHT THE SAME THING! My HR brain immediately thought, “That’s discrimination!” But his point was how highly the achievement is regarded.

I completely agree with you that there are so many other ways to distinguish one’s self. Not only do good troops not exist everywhere, but scouting is expensive. Many troops have equipment that can be borrowed or funds for kids less privileged, but not all. And all the requirements mean a scout to has to get to those activities somehow, and well-equipped. How could a single parent afford the time and money? But the more I get to understand what all is involved, the requirements to get to Eagle Scout really provide excellent experience in so many areas of life. The program does create a well-rounded kid, for those able to participate.

I'm glad you had the same instinct.

Ds1's good frinds are all Eagle scouts and, man, they are huge flakes! The one bails on jobs all the time. It's nuts! He's a good kid but definitely not what one would call a hard, committed worker.

Ds1's good frinds are all Eagle scouts and, man, they are huge flakes! The one bails on jobs all the time. It's nuts! He's a good kid but definitely not what one would call a hard, committed worker.
    Well, Boy Scouts makes them well-rounded kids but it doesn’t make them perfect. I wish.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast