Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Another thing to think about is chemical exposure-- our beauty care products are chock ful of hormone disruptors and toxic chemicals. Do you really to introduce that into her body at age 11? I know there are some cleaner brands like Beauty Counter. I don't even wear daily make up anymore because I just don't want to add to my body's toxic load.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree that probably she doesn't need much in the way of "foundation" at 11. if she has redness she's wanting to smooth out, a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen would probably be great. I am super fair and love the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue cream spf 30 in Opal. https://www.sephora.com/product/comp...&skuId=1687870

another possibility would be a powder that has a bit of color and spf your dd could just brush on over the red parts of her cheeks or whatever. Again, i love the Bare minerals product, but there are probably others out there similiar (Loreal has one i think). I use the Fair 01 shade. The good thing about a powder is your DD would just put some one the brush then tap into the lid to remove the excess. I am sure there are videos to show how to do it. she would also need a big brush to apply. https://www.sephora.com/product/bareminerals-original-foundation-broad-spectrum-spf-15-P61003?icid2=products%20grid61003&skuId=747832

When my dd wanted to get actual foundation (pre covid), i took her to sephora and they tried a few different types on her; she ended up loving Tarte Water foundation. it's water based so feels pretty sheer, llike she's not wearing anything. it has a dropper applicator, so you could even just add a couple drops to a moisturizer.
    https://www.sephora.com/product/sea-...405102:product

When my dd started mascara, i bought her a mini sized tube from sephora. A lot of high end brands have mini sizes. My dd likes It Cosmetics. I think she is now liking the drugstore mascara Loreal Telescopic.
    https://www.sephora.com/search?keyword=mascara%20mini

When my dd wanted to experiment with liquid eyeliner, i again got a mini size from sephora. When she wanted a white liquid eyeliner i got her the NYX brand, which she said works fine.
    HTH!

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DD is 13 and just starting to get a little more interested in makeup (more than playing with friends). We have an appt next week with a makeup artist who is going to shape her brows (still a natural look) and teach her how to do some natural makeup. DD has freckles and wants them to show (yay), so whatever they use will be light. We'll purchase makeup after that, depending on what she likes. Not being a huge makeup person myself, I want to follow her lead while giving her skills.
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My 13yr old has foundation (clear skin version), concealer, mascara, and we just recently gave her blush and a neutral eye pallet. Most days it is concealer and mascara and that's it.

My 11yr old wears concealer (as needed, she gets red breakouts) and mascara. I won't permit anything else yet. She's in 5th grade and for us that's middle school (5-8 building) so I'm okay with mascara. I definitely wouldn't have permitted it if 5th grade was elementary.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not a huge help with products but I will say I'm grateful that my mom allowed me to "play" with makeup at a young age, and wear it probably younger that I would have guessed... I have very pale skin and blonde, almost invisible eyelashes. I think I probably wore mascara and a little blush when I was 11. It gave me a little confidence and what's more, it allowed me to practice so that by the time I was older, I was more proficient at using it.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    My 11yr old wears concealer (as needed, she gets red breakouts) and mascara. I won't permit anything else yet. She's in 5th grade and for us that's middle school (5-8 building) so I'm okay with mascara. I definitely wouldn't have permitted it if 5th grade was elementary.
    5th grade is still elementary here but September will be 6th and that's middle school, which changes the ball game. I'd like to use the summertime to solidify her skin-care routine (wash at night, moisturize; sunscreen in the morning & re-apply as needed, etc.) and get her up to speed on taking care of her own hair - brushing, styling, whatever - before we add makeup.

She didn't ask to wear makeup now, just to learn a bit about it over the summer. We'll decide what will work when school resumes - it might be limited to eye-makeup because I'm still anticipating masks.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Not a huge help with products but I will say I'm grateful that my mom allowed me to "play" with makeup at a young age, and wear it probably younger that I would have guessed... I have very pale skin and blonde, almost invisible eyelashes. I think I probably wore mascara and a little blush when I was 11. It gave me a little confidence and what's more, it allowed me to practice so that by the time I was older, I was more proficient at using it.
    This is basically where I'm heading, but I'd like to get products that won't irritate her skin or exacerbate any existing skin issues before we do anything.

It could be that we work on eye makeup and nothing else because of masking mandates, or play with full-face but reserve it for special occasions - Silver Award interview, daddy-daughter dance, etc. - until she's older.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    5th grade is still elementary here but September will be 6th and that's middle school, which changes the ball game. I'd like to use the summertime to solidify her skin-care routine (wash at night, moisturize; sunscreen in the morning & re-apply as needed, etc.) and get her up to speed on taking care of her own hair - brushing, styling, whatever - before we add makeup.

She didn't ask to wear makeup now, just to learn a bit about it over the summer. We'll decide what will work when school resumes - it might be limited to eye-makeup because I'm still anticipating masks.
    Sounds like a great plan.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3