Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Makeup Question: Starter Products for Tweens

DD (age 11) asked about learning a little bit about makeup this summer. We are both extremely fair-skinned, although hers is a bit ruddier than mine (she takes after DH.) I can teach her a 5-minute face appropriate for school no problem; I'm happy to add steps for special occasions if she's interested in the future.

My first thought was Clinique's Almost Makeup - yes, I know, it's not cheap, but we've both got sensitive skin and e.l.f., while cheap & readily available, is heavily fragranced.

Do they still make this product?

If not, is there anything similar in other hypoallergenic brands? I think what I'm looking for is ... sheer coverage, along the lines of a BB or CC cream, in a "porcelain" or "bisque" shade.

We have easy access to CVS, Target, Walgreens, Ulta, and I have a Sephora Beauty Insider account (and I'm pretty peeved I missed the 20% off sale last weekend)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have fair ruddy skin, too. Granted I don't have any girls, but I can't imagine an 11 year old needing or even wanting a foundation regardless how sheer. I'd start with light gloss/tinted lip balm. I remember wearing eye liner in 8th grade (after begging my mom) because I'm a redhead and my eyelashes are so light you can't see them, so a little eyeliner and natural-looking mascara boosted how I felt about my looks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I started wearing make up in 6th grade but I have no recollection of how I knew what to do! DD is 12 and has an interest and so far I’ve just passed along some mascara and products of mine I ended up not liking. I have sensitive eyes so it is all Almat, Clinique or other hypoallergenic brands. However, I would not allow my DD to wear foundation and I myself have never used anything except powder foundation. I just don’t think it’s needed for that age... I’d fight the battle of sunscreen at a minimum. I have thought that it would be nice to take DD to a makeup counter for a 5 minute lesson but I can’t imagine when those will return. But lucky for them there are thousands of You Tube and Tik Tok tutorials so it doesn’t seem to matter. I would just ask your DD what she would like and help her find some videos to help. I’ve been volunteering at school at lunch and it seems if girls wear make up it is just mascara and maybe eyeliner. Who knows what’s happening under the masks.

Most kids learn about make up from YouTube and social media (tiktok). My DD is 15 and doesn’t wear any make up. I would not encourage a 11 year old to wear make up to school. Experimenting is having fun is fine, but definitely not for school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Most kids learn about make up from YouTube and social media (tiktok). My DD is 15 and doesn’t wear any make up. I would not encourage a 11 year old to wear make up to school. Experimenting is having fun is fine, but definitely not for school.

Just out of curiosity, why not? If a child feels better with some makeup, I don’t see the harm. My SIL had tons of freckles and was very self conscious as a teen. She hated her freckles. If makeup can give her some peace of mind, why not?

Op, I don’t have many suggestions. My DD is 13 and doesn’t care. She wears makeup for dance productions and that’s it. When I was her age, I wore quite a bit- mascara, eye shadow, face powder, lipgloss, etc. I would suggest taking her to a makeup counter to learn about stuff (not sure if this is possible now with COVID). If she really wants a base foundation, she could start with a pressed powder. A liquid base might feel sticky at that age.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 04-29-2021 at 07:49 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What about a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen? And hype up the sunscreen...that's the single most important thing that will keep her skin lovely over the years. I don't have a recommendation because I have oily skin but I bet there's a good BB cream or CC cream or similar with sunscreen that has juuuust enough tint to feel like makeup.

Lips: love Burt's Bees lip shimmer and it comes in a really slender tube that would make application easy on small lips. And it's pretty darned pigmented...I'd probably steer her towards the lighter colors

Mascara - try the tube kind? Washes off easily, doesn't get in the eyes, won't smudge or stain. I use the one recommended here...Loreal I think..but I don't use the white primer end, too clumpy of a look. I only use the colored end.

And then I'd be sure she's set up for a good facial cleaning routine at the end of each day with makeup remover (even something simple like the Neutrogena makeup wipes), a good gentle face wash (I use Paula's Choice but Cerave and Cetaphil have good options), and toner/moisturizer.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 04-29-2021 at 07:56 PM.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD is so good at makeup, but I also agree with looking at places like YouTube, Instagram, tiktok, young girls will not want clinique makeup. You could go to ulta or sephora. DD got to be amazing at doing her eyes, as good as a professional. Do you know any teens, older cousin, neighbor who wears makeup. The whole makeup world has exploded and there are so many affordable and great products for teens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

BB and CC creams are much higher in pigment and coverage than people are led to believe. My rule for my girls was age 13 for makeup. They weren’t allowed to wear it in school. Also keep in mind that she’s close to a probable hormonal surge so if you’re going to allow experimentation, choose a tinted moisturizer at most since her skin will likely change. Clinique is a great starter brand. I still wear Black Honey almost lipstick myself!

ETA while I agree that most teens won’t go the Clinique route, 11 is not a teen and by the time she hits 14, she will change her style many times. For a girl as young as 11 and with sensitivities, I’d go to a Clinique counter.
    Last edited by Jeanne; 04-29-2021 at 08:09 PM.

Default Makeup Question: Starter Products for Tweens

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why not? If a child feels better with some makeup, I don’t see the harm. My SIL had tons of freckles and was very self conscious as a teen. She hated her freckles. If makeup can give her some peace of mind, why not?

Op, I don’t have many suggestions. My DD is 13 and doesn’t care. She wears makeup for dance productions and that’s it. When I was her age, I wore quite a bit- mascara, eye shadow, face powder, lipgloss, etc. I would suggest taking her to a makeup counter to learn about stuff (not sure if this is possible now with COVID). If she really wants a base foundation, she could start with a pressed powder. A liquid base might feel sticky at that age.
    I think there’s a big difference between 11 and 13. I think it’s weird for prepubescent girls to wear make up to school. (It’s fine for a dance competition.) I’m not saying a kid needs to go through puberty to wear make up, but in general, I feel like there’s something wrong with our society if elementary aged kids think they need to wear make up to feel better about their appearance.

Last edited by georgiegirl; 04-29-2021 at 08:35 PM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    ... I would not encourage a 11 year old to wear make up to school. Experimenting is having fun is fine, but definitely not for school.
    She asked to learn about it and I'm willing to teach her some quick basics. She's self-conscious about some kp across her cheeks (it's absolutely not acne/pimples, but it's definitely bumpy & dry) and if it gets her interested in personal hygiene, self-care, and her appearance to the point where she'll actually learn how to brush her own hair, I'm all in. She'll be in MIDDLE SCHOOL in September, so it's kind of important that she learns more self-care.

We don't allow her access to YouTube or TikTok and do not plan to until she's a bit more mature. (By which time all the kids will have moved on to something else, I'm sure.)
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 04-29-2021 at 08:47 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast