Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I started wearing make up in 6th grade ... But lucky for them there are thousands of You Tube and Tik Tok tutorials so it doesn’t seem to matter. I would just ask your DD what she would like and help her find some videos to help. I’ve been volunteering at school at lunch and it seems if girls wear make up it is just mascara and maybe eyeliner. Who knows what’s happening under the masks.
    I mean, assuming masks will still be a thing (and I 100% believe that masks will still be a thing) eye makeup is a lot of fun to play with.

It might be a great time to check out wild palettes like the Animal Crossing greens or bronzes and deal with foundation later.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    ... young girls will not want clinique makeup. You could go to ulta or sephora. DD got to be amazing at doing her eyes, as good as a professional. Do you know any teens, older cousin, neighbor who wears makeup. The whole makeup world has exploded and there are so many affordable and great products for teens.
    I wouldn't go with their other products, which I kind of hate, just the "almost makeup." Granted, this bit may be moot with masks, so we can probably hold off.

She has two older cousins (in September they'll be a Junior in high school & a Sophomore in college) nearby, but they have very full schedules & their mom doesn't like me much, so while it'd be fun to work with them, I can't get together with them as much as I'd like, plus they've expressed the feeling that they get dumped with DD during family events, so I feel like I really owe them BIG rather than the other way 'round.

I'm not ready to unleash DD onto social media, even supervised. We have a lot of media literacy and cybersecurity education to work through with her before I'll be comfortable.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    What about a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen? And hype up the sunscreen...that's the single most important thing that will keep her skin lovely over the years. I don't have a recommendation because I have oily skin but I bet there's a good BB cream or CC cream or similar with sunscreen that has juuuust enough tint to feel like makeup.
    I was thinking about that, but we both have Northern European coloring and truly struggle with tinted moisturizer looking too dark on our skin. Seriously.

At this point, I'm more about basic facial hygiene than I am about foundation (although I'm thinking about it for the sole reason of introducing it so she doesn't pick at her skin like I do!) and moisturizer & sunscreen are KEY pieces of taking good care of ourselves.

Lips: love Burt's Bees lip shimmer and it comes in a really slender tube that would make application easy on small lips. And it's pretty darned pigmented...I'd probably steer her towards the lighter colors

Mascara - try the tube kind? Washes off easily, doesn't get in the eyes, won't smudge or stain. I use the one recommended here...Loreal I think..but I don't use the white primer end, too clumpy of a look. I only use the colored end.
    I actually don't need to worry about small lips - she's not petite and won't be. I'm also more than happy to buy her a retractable lip brush to help with touch-ups.

I haven't used drugstore mascara in forever, although I did buy her some Neutrogena lash tint a few years ago for a special occasion (daddy-daughter dance.) We are well-endowed in the lash department.

And then I'd be sure she's set up for a good facial cleaning routine at the end of each day with makeup remover (even something simple like the Neutrogena makeup wipes), a good gentle face wash (I use Paula's Choice but Cerave and Cetaphil have good options), and toner/moisturizer.
    We're starting with the face-wash stuff now - just bought her a gentle gel cleanser, since that's what I favor when it starts getting hot & humid here, and an oil-free moisturizer.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    I have fair ruddy skin, too. Granted I don't have any girls, but I can't imagine an 11 year old needing or even wanting a foundation regardless how sheer. I'd start with light gloss/tinted lip balm. I remember wearing eye liner in 8th grade (after begging my mom) because I'm a redhead and my eyelashes are so light you can't see them, so a little eyeliner and natural-looking mascara boosted how I felt about my looks.
    I wasn't allowed to wear makeup to school (Catholic school) until high school, and even then it was a huge adjustment - high school started at 7:38am while I was still starting my school day at 9:15am through 8th grade! - so I preferred the extra sleep to doing anything beyond showering, detangling my hair, and pulling everything back into a ponytail. (Didn't help that I also wore glasses, so the thought of having makeup smudges on the bottom rim of my frames or mascara flaking onto my lenses was shudder-inducing.)

But, like I said, DD asked, so I'm doing the research. I don't see why she can't use the summer months to play a bit with something she finds comfortable; she might not want the foundation, but her BFF wears it occasionally because BFF is self-conscious about A LOT of things.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post

Op, I don’t have many suggestions. My DD is 13 and doesn’t care. She wears makeup for dance productions and that’s it. When I was her age, I wore quite a bit- mascara, eye shadow, face powder, lipgloss, etc. I would suggest taking her to a makeup counter to learn about stuff (not sure if this is possible now with COVID). If she really wants a base foundation, she could start with a pressed powder. A liquid base might feel sticky at that age.
    Everything around here is still closed, although I think I can do a virtual consultation/lesson with Sephora.

I didn't wear any makeup, and definitely not to school except for Halloween, when I'd match my skin-tone so closely, top everything with a long black wig, a dark red lip and my vampire costume it was absolutely eerie - precisely the effect I was looking for, of course.

For everyday, however, I barely slapped on moisturizer ... although I was ever-vigilant about the sunscreen and thought tanning was stupid.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'd start with the habit of moisturizer with a sunscreen first. You'll never wear enough base makeup to get any useful sun protection; it's a bonus and helpful but get your sunscreen from sunscreen. Maybe the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer or the Glossier skin tint. Those have very light coverage. My 13 year old doesn't use a liquid for base but she might use a powder. Drugstore mascara is great, Maybelline and Covergirl have great ones, don't spend any money on those. Or the Essence line you can get at Ulta. Eyeshadow is a ton of fun and my daughter goes all in with that and eyeliner. Colourpop is always a great starting place for eyes especially but their whole range is generally good.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I think there’s a big difference between 11 and 13. I think it’s weird for prepubescent girls to wear make up to school. (It’s fine for a dance competition.) I’m not saying a kid needs to go through puberty to wear make up, but in general, I feel like there’s something wrong with our society if elementary aged kids think they need to wear make up to feel better about their appearance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    For whatever reason, girls don't appear to wear make up until later these days! I remember getting yelled at for breaking rules and wearing mascara for cheer in 8th grade! How times have changed.

My son has a touch of KP on his face. He uses cereve cleanser and vanicream and it has gone away for the most part. Skin will be changing.

Seeing what other kids are doing Tiktok and YouTube may be a good place to start. I think you should consider limiting the ban.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Makeup Question: Starter Products for Tweens

Dd1 wears Clinique foundation makeup (I can’t remember which one though) for dancing and she is probably an anomaly but at 15 she doesn’t really care about the brand and is still happy with Clinique. They have a great shade range.

I would also look at Tarte as well as they have a nice shade range.

If you want something in the drugstore price category check out Cover Girl.

Dd1 loves Tarte Man Eater Mascara, she started wearing Clinique’s High Impact Mascara for dance as well when she was 11 or 12. Both are probably more mascara than an 11-12 year old needs for everyday but again Clinique makes some nice products still. She has long lashes and has always used traditional mascara vs. tube mascara. A gentle eye make remover like Garnier Micellar Water works great for removal.

Eye shadow wise look at Colour Pop. They make some fun colors and themed kits (Mandalorian, Mulan, Disney Princesses) that are very appropriate for pre teens and they are really good quality, MIUSA, and cruelty free.

I don’t have a true age rule for makeup, but I am okay with mascara and lipstick by 12-13. I would be hippo critical if I said they had to wait longer because I started wearing makeup at 12-13. I had concealer and foundation at 12 or 13 to cover up acne.

My first lipstick when I was 12 was Cover Girl Lip Slicks ( this looks similar but is in a tube) , and my first mascara was Max Factor’s 2000 Calorie (which I swear I used until Max Factor discontinued it in the late 90s/early 2000s). I had to wear the clear one for while, but I eventually started wearing regular brown black as well around the time I was 13, and my mom didn’t care. Even as a teen I needed mascara because my eyelashes were so blond.

I would be very surprised if you can try on something inside Sephora. The Sephora’s near me are still limited to order pick up only or buy at the front door now and every time I have been by one there is no one other than staff in the store.

I would check out Ulta as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-30-2021 at 01:30 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Dd1 wears Clinique foundation makeup (I can’t remember which one though) for dancing and she is probably an anomaly but at 15 she doesn’t really care about the brand and is still happy with Clinique. They have a great shade range.

I would also look at Tarte as well as they have a nice shade range.

If you want something in the drugstore price category check out Cover Girl.
    Thank you for the rec's for Tarte! I remember Cover Girl being rather perfumey when I was a kid, plus it made my skin crawl, so it took me AGES to find a foundation I could tolerate. (The last drugstore foundation I bought was JANE, which has long since been discontinued.)

I'm probably going to replace all of my own makeup soon anyway - it's been a long time since I bought or wore any, and I'm sure it's a happy little bacteria colony.

Dd1 loves Tarte Man Eater Mascara, she started wearing Clinique’s High Impact Mascara for dance as well when she was 11 or 12. Both are probably more mascara than an 11-12 year old needs for everyday but again Clinique makes some nice products still. She has long lashes and has always used traditional mascara vs. tube mascara. A gentle eye make remover like Garnier Micellar Water works great for removal.
    DD has long, dark lashes, so I started with "lash tint" from Neutrogena. If we go with actual mascara, I'd be looking at a curling product, like I do for myself, rather than a volumizing or lengthening formula. (I'm looking at benefit's Roller Lash as my next personal purchase.)

Eye shadow wise look at Colour Pop. They make some fun colors and themed kits (Mandalorian, Mulan, Disney Princesses) that are very appropriate for pre teens and they are really good quality, MIUSA, and cruelty free.
    We looked at the Animal Crossing themed eyeshadows last night - she likes the green one that I linked in another post, while I like the bronzy-neutrals.

I don’t have a true age rule for makeup, but I am okay with mascara and lipstick by 12-13. I would be hippo critical if I said they had to wait longer because I started wearing makeup at 12-13. I had concealer and foundation at 12 or 13 to cover up acne.
    I don't really have a hard-and-fast rule, either, mostly because I didn't wear any makeup except for special occasions. I have a good sense of color and what works/doesn't work for my coloring. One of my favorite things to do is eye makeup, but I am extremely picky about products because I wear contacts.

Most of my middle school habits were based on what was permitted by the school handbook (makeup was off limits) and my high school habits were shaped by figuring out how to maximize sleep and still get to homeroom on time! Other than Halloween, the only times I wore makeup were for plays/musicals. During my first musical, my friend Austin taught me how to do stage makeup - I'd never done it before.

My first lipstick when I was 12 was Cover Girl Lip Slicks ( this looks similar but is in a tube) , and my first mascara was Max Factor’s 2000 Calorie (which I swear I used until Max Factor discontinued it in the late 90s/early 2000s). I had to wear the clear one for while, but I eventually started wearing regular brown black as well around the time I was 13, and my mom didn’t care. Even as a teen I needed mascara because my eyelashes were so blond.
    I have long, dark, very full lashes, so I used to skip mascara - I didn't need anything it was advertising, so I didn't see the point, but I've now come to terms with it as a finishing touch to anything else I've done with my eyes.

DD may be blonde, but her lashes are as long, dark, and full as mine. Lash tint or a curling formula is probably enough until she decides she needs more.

I would be very surprised if you can try on something inside Sephora. The Sephora’s near me are still limited to order pick up only or buy at the front door now and every time I have been by one there is no one other than staff in the store.

I would check out Ulta as well.
    I've been playing around with Sephora's quizzes, but things show up so differently on a screen than they do in real life!
    I don't shop at Ulta much - the local store has a different feel to it than the Sephora at the mall, so I don't think of them first.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Morphe's line called Morphe 2 is geared to more "natural" looking makeup looks. There are some cute products. I was going to recommend Colourpop, but see that it's already been mentioned. Their stuff is cute and decent quality for the price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast