Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default S/O : Are any vaccines near FDA approval? (vs EAU) & mandatory vaccine for school

I was having a "heated discussion" with my sister about my adult nieces going to college. One of the schools is doing surveys about making vaccine mandatory for class in-person attendance. My point was: can a public school require a vaccine for attendance that isn't FDA approved? I do understand the rules may be different for private schools. (One of the girls is pregnant; one is nursing, one has a preschooler.)

I'm concerned about this for my middle school kid, too... and all the kids out there. I know that they really do need to get back to school, but it seems the kids' vaccine is even more rushed than the adult - and I'm still not thrilled with the adult!

I've not heard a thing about progressing to approval on any vaccine. Is there some I'm just not finding?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have a college kiddo and the parent board is full of debates about mandatory vaccines. Seeing how ds1 has already gotten dose 1, it’s a non issue for us. Most parents are also supportive. What the parents of college students need to remember is that almost all of their kids will be adults and can make the decision about the vaccine. I think the choice should be to not get vaccinated and remain virtual or get vaccinated and fully participate. It will be impossible to resume normalcy without them getting vaccinated.
    As for the timeline for FDA approval, I honestly haven’t been paying attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

DS1 will be a freshman at a state school in the fall and they are requiring the vaccine for all students. He just got his first dose this week, so not an issue for us either.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just read that Fauci said he thinks approval will come “soon” and “in the near future”. No idea what that means, but it’s better than “a long time” for those who are waiting for an approval before getting a shot.

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm thrilled campuses are requiring the vax. Colleges have been a hot bed of covid cases, college kids don't listen and many students had horrible years due to covid restrictions. Requiring college kids to get it is different than younger folks.

Has anyone else's kid been affected by the crazy mandatory vax requirement for this year's Cooperstown?

I think it's insane to mandate younger kids to get the vax.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I just read that Fauci said he thinks approval will come “soon” and “in the near future”. No idea what that means, but it’s better than “a long time” for those who are waiting for an approval before getting a shot.
    I swear I have seen "Your local epidimologist' on FB post that Pfizer will probably be approved regularly in May, which kinda goes with what you heard. I have been paying attention because I'm still trying to talk DH into getting vaccinated.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

DS is 18 and in HS. He got the J&J before the pause. His high school is now offering vaccines at school for kids 18 and up and maybe 16+ (with parental permission for the under 18 crowd). I think they definitely need to require it for living in the dorms.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD will be at U of Illinois, who has been a leader in campus testing, have maintained rates at. 03% all year. They just stated today students and staff who are vaccinated will not have to test 2 x per week as is the current requirement. DD is 17, is now fully vaccinated anyway so not an issue with us.

My nursing home does not require all staff to be vaccinated, I have heard of a few places that do. I think that it will change in the future, those who are vaccinated will maybe not have to quarantine if exposed or wear a mask if covid in the building (if they ever lift the mask mandate in nursing homes).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'll admit I was surprised to hear that they apparently can. I do not like it. I am definitely pro vax. I got both, made dh get his and will sign up dd as soon as they are eligible. BUT, I do not like that EUA vax can be mandated. Its a step too far IMO because it sets a precedent
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I'll admit I was surprised to hear that they apparently can. I do not like it. I am definitely pro vax. I got both, made dh get his and will sign up dd as soon as they are eligible. BUT, I do not like that EUA vax can be mandated. Its a step too far IMO because it sets a precedent
    I think there is a difference between mandated where you will lose your job or not be allowed to enroll, vs. having to jump through additional hoops or not being allowed to attend in person. Other than a few private companies or events, most of what I am hearing is along the lines of requiring regular/more frequent testing, only allowing virtual attendance, more stringent quarantine requirements, not allowed to live in dorms, etc.

The virus doesn't care if you can't or don't want the vaccine. The risk is still there. Kind of like if you choose not to get MMR vaccine, your child can be excluded from school during a measles outbreak. Doesn't matter if your religion opposes vaccines, they can still exclude you so you don't get other people sick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast