Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I'll admit I was surprised to hear that they apparently can. I do not like it. I am definitely pro vax. I got both, made dh get his and will sign up dd as soon as they are eligible. BUT, I do not like that EUA vax can be mandated. Its a step too far IMO because it sets a precedent
    I totally want people to be vaccinated but I am glad that there are people that are bringing up concerns. It makes so much sense to me to require this for residential dorms but I think these things need to be thought through and reasonably justified.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I'm thrilled campuses are requiring the vax. Colleges have been a hot bed of covid cases, college kids don't listen and many students had horrible years due to covid restrictions. Requiring college kids to get it is different than younger folks.

Has anyone else's kid been affected by the crazy mandatory vax requirement for this year's Cooperstown?

I think it's insane to mandate younger kids to get the vax.
    Do you mean the Cooperstown baseball experience/tournament?

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, it can be required, then someone can sue, then a court can rule. That’s the only way to really know if they can require it. I’m sure someone will sue, but the case law tends to give the government a lot of leeway in these public health matters. Who knows what will happen. Also, maybe a lawyer can step in here, I would imagine one state court can rule one way in a accordance to their state constitution and another can determine differently? I’m thinking specifically how my state interprets how the standard of special education is set vs other states. (Our state needs to provide support for that individual student to meet their individual potential, not an average potential.)

I think this link is helpful in describing the difference between Emergency Use Authorization and normal FDA approval.

https://vaccine.unchealthcare.org/sc...-fda-approval/

Also, almost all of us have been prescribed and used a drug for “off label” use. Not the same, but just to throw out there these terms mean different things to practitioners vs the general public.

I know my elder just committed to a college. He was down to three, two announced they would require vaccines (one public, one private) and one had not committed (public different state). College three got ruled out because they wouldn’t say whether they would require a vaccine to live on campus before the May 1 deadline.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    DD will be at U of Illinois, who has been a leader in campus testing, have maintained rates at. 03% all year. They just stated today students and staff who are vaccinated will not have to test 2 x per week as is the current requirement. DD is 17, is now fully vaccinated anyway so not an issue with us.
    This sounds like a good approach.

My DD works in childcare and received the Pfizer in March, no issues.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Pfizer filed for full approval! They are asking to have a decision made in 6 months vs the normal 10.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/07/healt...ine/index.html

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    This sounds like a good approach.
    I agree. It sounds like a good solution to me. I don’t like things being made mandatory for all the reasons pp stated.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD's college (private) and nearby college it has reciprocity with (also private) just announced a couple of weeks ago that it will be mandatory for students and staff to be fully vaccinated by the beginning of fall term if they want to be on campus (living/classes etc).

I tend to think that many schools will follow suit once the full FDA approval is given. For now, there seem to be two camps - one that requires and one that encourages and provides exemptions from restrictions/testing etc. if you provide proof of vaccine. DD applied to 10 schools and all of them have put out statements with their vaccine policies in the past few weeks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2