Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Cleaning shower glass

We have hard water and the shower glass gets all marked. I read a blog post about using cleaner for a glass top stove, which I have. With a blue scrubbing sponge, give it a good scrub and then wipe it off with a paper towel. I then clean with windex.

I use this https://weiman.com/glass-cooktop-cleaner-polish

Our shower is only a few years old so it cleans up well. The shower in the hall bathroom is 20+ years and the doors are etched. It doesn’t come up quite as well, still a bit hazy, but way better than before and without too much effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 05-02-2021 at 09:19 PM.

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Interesting. We have the issue that our shower is some sort of marble which can be easily damaged by non neutral cleaners. I have successfully cleaned of hard water stains in the glass by wetting a paper towel with diluted vinegar and plastering it to the door for 10-20 minutes making sure it doesn't drip on the marble.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is good to know, we have terrible hard water and people with no interest in cleaning the glass in the shower.

I think I have used this recipe before and it seems to have worked well.
    https://www.familysavvy.com/dawn-vin...-door-cleaner/

Also, I heard recently that you can use liquid version of Barkeepers Friend for this. I tried it on some parts of the shower and it worked great!

I try to use an old/used dryer sheet to clean the areas, that's supposed to help too.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    This is good to know, we have terrible hard water and people with no interest in cleaning the glass in the shower.

Also, I heard recently that you can use liquid version of Barkeepers Friend for this. I tried it on some parts of the shower and it worked great!

I try to use an old/used dryer sheet to clean the areas, that's supposed to help too.
    I have used a similar recipe that adds a tablespoon of cornstarch to the mixture before microwaving. I think it helps the solution cling to the surface a bit longer to help with build up - it is my go to cleaner for the bathroom sink & tub and my kitchen sink, too.
    DS 2/09

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    Interesting. We have the issue that our shower is some sort of marble which can be easily damaged by non neutral cleaners. I have successfully cleaned of hard water stains in the glass by wetting a paper towel with diluted vinegar and plastering it to the door for 10-20 minutes making sure it doesn't drip on the marble.
    We have a pebble floor so can’t use other cleaners as well. The stove top cleaner doesn’t drip and after I scrub the doors I buff it off with a paper towel

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post

I’ve tried that recipe before. I made a spray bottle of it and was committed to really scrubbing the mineral build up off our shower door. Thinking it might be smart to try a little experiment, I sprayed it on our glass door and left it there for several hours. We also have a fixed panel of glass next to the door. I didn’t spray that down. After I scrubbed the glass door, rinsed and then wiped it down with a dry towel, I sprayed it again with the cleaner. I did that repeatedly for 2 days really hoping to get out build up off. At the end of the second day I asked my Dh if he could tell the difference between the glass door that I had repeatedly treated and the glass panel that I left alone. He couldn’t.

Thanks for these suggestions.I didn’t know Weiman’s made a glass cleaner and polish. I’ll definitely try it and the Barkeepers friend. Our glass is in a desperate state.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

cagey is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We squeegee after every shower and use a use a microfiber cloth sprayed with vinegar every other day. That plus dawn spray keeps the yuckies away...

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I would definitely test for scratching, though. It works for me but might not work on all glass types.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I saw something on TikTok of all places that has worked well. I bought a fillable oxo dish brush with a stand/holder and filled it with vinegar and dawn dish soap. I do a quick once over of the shower surfaces before I get out. It's so much easier to keep clean that way.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

One other tip that works really well for us - every few months we do a deep clean of our shower glass and then coat it with RainX (for car windshields). It really keeps it clean so much longer. We have a huge glass wall with true divided steel panes that go all the way to the ceiling so it is well worth the time to keep the number of times we have to deep clean to a minimum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast