Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

So this thread pushed me to work on my glass shower door (as well as deep-clean the rest of my dusty house). It has pretty bad mineral build up on the glass from a housekeeper that for months kept saying she was cleaning it (and later admitted she wasn’t because she hated cleaning showers) to it not getting any attention when I broke my ankle. At this point the glass is etched pretty bad where the shower hits it most. I’ve tried everything listed here. And for the last 3 days Dh and I have been working with the Weiman’s glass cooktop cleaner and polish. It easily took off the top layer of soap scum and mineral build up. I tried using it different ways- smearing it on, letting it dry and then wiping the dry flakes off. That was easy and came off easily with no streaks. But since then, I’ve been smearing it on and then scrubbing it a-la-Karate Kid fashion with a wet choreboy. I’ve also tried soaking paper towels with vinegar and leaving them clinging to the doors. I don’t think that did much either. Back to the circular scrubbing. Who has 3 days to work on their shower? None of this is making enough of a difference.

So now DH has his car paint polishing/ buffing machine in there trying to do the same thing with the Weiman’s. He agrees it’s not doing much to remove the etching. He’s planning to try next a headlight repair kit. It’s suppose to remove hardened crap and polish car headlight glass. After that doesn’t work and we give up on it all, we are using rainx on it.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 05-08-2021 at 05:17 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Watching for an update on the car headlight repair idea. Ours is also terrible- and I squeegee our whole shower after the last shower every. Freaking. Day. So frustrating.

ETA that we have used the rainex as well and it didn’t do much if anything.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Cleaning shower glass

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    So this thread pushed me to work on my glass shower door (as well as deep-clean the rest of my dusty house). It has pretty bad mineral build up on the glass from a housekeeper that for months kept saying she was cleaning it (and later admitted she wasn’t because she hated cleaning showers) to it not getting any attention when I broke my ankle. At this point the glass is etched pretty bad where the shower hits it most. I’ve tried everything listed here. And for the last 3 days Dh and I have been working with the Weiman’s glass cooktop cleaner and polish. It easily took off the top layer of soap scum and mineral build up. I tried using it different ways- smearing it on, letting it dry and then wiping the dry flakes off. That was easy and came off easily with no streaks. But since then, I’ve been smearing it on and then scrubbing it a-la-Karate Kid fashion with a wet choreboy. I’ve also tried soaking paper towels with vinegar and leaving them clinging to the doors. I don’t think that did much either. Back to the circular scrubbing. Who has 3 days to work on their shower? None of this is making enough of a difference.

So now DH has his car paint polishing/ buffing machine in there trying to do the same thing with the Weiman’s. He agrees it’s not doing much to remove the etching. He’s planning to try next a headlight repair kit. It’s suppose to remove hardened crap and polish car headlight glass. After that doesn’t work and we give up on it all, we are using rainx on it.
    I used the headlight repair kit on my headlights and it did make a difference with them - here’s hoping it works on the shower glass. The Weimans works well on shower which is 3 years old, but I use it a few few times, so it’s not too much build up.It’s not as great on our 20 year shower - too much etching maybe . So let me know if the headlight repair works.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ok, with the amount of elbow grease I put into our shower glass, I inspired DH to work on our shower too. He had initially looked into getting a headlight cleaner/polishing kit but then opted not to because apparently headlights are plastic. So instead he went to Harbor Freight (not sure if this is a national chain. It’s like a very cheap Home Depot) and bought a variable-speed polisher (he said it was $39) and used cutting solution with the polisher on the glass. He used a terry-cloth cover on the spinning bit and buffed it out for 3 hours today. It’s still not perfect, there is still etching but I’d say it’s 90% clear. I’m impressed. He also used a polishing solution on it that is normally used for car paint and then followed it up by Rainx.

Oh, I wanted to add that for orange staining (I’m assuming this is hard water staining except we have city water and a water softener so I dont quite understand it) I’ve found that nothing gets it out of the grout as well as hydrogen peroxide. I spray it on undiluted and then scrub the grout with a hard bristle brush and it does a great job of cleaning the orange stain and any mildew out of the grout. I think you need to be careful though because I scrubbed so hard last fall that the grout gave way in some places so Dh had to regrout the tile. The orange had built up again over the fall and winter but I got it all out this weekend with more hydrogen peroxide. This time I was more careful about not scrubbing too hard (and I think DH laid the grout in more thick).
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 05-10-2021 at 01:23 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2