Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I think the conversation about medical consent is an important one. At the age of 18 they sign their consents and you don’t have access to their medical records. Some states limit access to a child’s medical record after 14, for good reasons. Since we are talking about kids >16 right now this should be a wake up call to talk to your kids now about consents, medical privacy and advanced directives. They can be legally signed at 18. I talked to my son and when he turned 18 I had him fill out his health care proxy form. Some parents have their 18 yo sign HIPPA forms so they can have access to their medical records. I am not an advocate of that, but that’s between you and your adult child.
    Thank you for this, it's a really good reminder. I just received an email from MyChart reminding me that my proxy access is expiring in the next few months when he turns 18. Now is a good time to talk about advanced directives as well.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our high school has been holding clinics every few weeks. My two older kids (16 and 18) got vaxed elsewhere, but I love that the school is doing it. Kids under 18 were required to have a parent present to consent. Our 13 year old will hopefully be eligible next week, based on the prediction that the FDA will grant EUA to Pfizer for 12-15 year olds. I'll get him vaxed ASAP.

DD just turned 18 in March and we have done proxy forms at two of her doctor's offices so far. Still have to do a couple more and fill them out for her college as well. Don't forget to fill out the proxy forms at your pharmacy too or else you won't be able to refill or pick up prescriptions for your adult kids either. Dentist, eye dr etc.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    Don't forget to fill out the proxy forms at your pharmacy too or else you won't be able to refill or pick up prescriptions for your adult kids either. Dentist, eye dr etc.
    Very good points, thank you!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just want to clarify language here.
    There are HIPPA forms that allow you access to people’s medical information. You need to fill one out for each medical provider or location.

Then there are advanced directives that tend to fall into two different categories. One you appoint a person to are decisions for you if you can’t make them yourself. The other kind is more of a living will, although you can often name a person there. Exactly which form varies by state. Sometimes the person is called a health care proxy or health care agent. Every adult should have one. If you don’t have a designated agent or proxy a hospital would default to next of kin in most cases to ask what they would want done if they can’t speak for themselves. NOK goes: spouse, parents, adult children, and so forth. No hospital is going to refuse to operate on someone in an emergency or withhold life or death care if there is not agent. Honestly the problem is when you don’t want something done or the person leaves the hospital for long term care.

I often direct people to the Five Wishes site to help get a conversation started about advanced directives.
    https://fivewishes.org/shop/order/pr...duals-families

Google advanced directive (your state) to find the form for your location.

Also, you can pick up prescriptions for other adults, it happens all the time. Heck, you can pick up opiates for other people.
    Last edited by dogmom; 05-07-2021 at 12:42 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dogmom reminds me that before ds1?went to college he completed a health power of attorney and HIPPA forms on here https://www.mamabearlegalforms.com/youngadult
    Not really sure they were needed but the other parents were recommending it on the school page.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5