Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default High School Covid Vaccination Clinics

Update on consent issue in #28.

At least 5 high schools near me are holding Pfizer vaccination clinics this week. Vaccines are being offered to all students 16 and older, and interestingly do not require parental permission. They will do a clinic for second doses in 3 weeks. Personally I think it's a great way to increase easy access to vaccines, and it reminds me that I got a (TDAP?) vaccine at a clinic held at my high school once, though I think that one required my parents to sign a form. They're hoping it will help provide some protection as we move into prom and graduation season, and to make it easy for seniors to get vaccinated before they head off to college. It will be interesting to see how many students sign up.

I'm just curious if this is something that's happening in a lot of other places too.
    Last edited by gymnbomb; 05-04-2021 at 08:53 PM.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes to clinics. Unsure about consent. Interest from the students if very high.
    I'm trying to remember if I had to sign anything when ds1 gave blood at high school.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    At least 5 high schools near me are holding Pfizer vaccination clinics this week. Vaccines are being offered to all students 16 and older, and interestingly do not require parental permission. They will do a clinic for second doses in 3 weeks. Personally I think it's a great way to increase easy access to vaccines, and it reminds me that I got a (TDAP?) vaccine at a clinic held at my high school once, though I think that one required my parents to sign a form. They're hoping it will help provide some protection as we move into prom and graduation season, and to make it easy for seniors to get vaccinated before they head off to college. It will be interesting to see how many students sign up.

I'm just curious if this is something that's happening in a lot of other places too.
    I know that some of the schools around here are doing clinics, either at school or as a field trip, but I'm not sure about the permission for each (mainly what I am finding are news stories, not info direct from schools). For HS students, at this point in the year, about 1/4 of our HS is over 18 (and a not insignificant number are over 19 due to redshirting), so they don't need parent permission.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

They are doing one at my kids' school, but I do think they are requiring parental permission (if under 18). I don't know how many takers they will get since most over 16s I know already have theirs, would love it if they do one for 12-15 once that approval comes through. My dd got her flu shot at a drive thru clinic offered at school.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes to clinics; they're open to the general public with certain caveats (must live or attend school in-county) as they are not being run by the high school, but by the county health department. I don't know about consent forms; the info went out through the school messenger & I didn't read it because both DH and I have been vaccinated ... and DD is too young for anything right now.

Frankly, I think vaccine clinics AND testing protocols should be in schools if we're serious about reopening and mitigating the impact of the variants.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

We received a form about interest from my kids school. I did not receive more information since he already received his 1st dose.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ours hasn't done a clinic for the school, as I don't think there are enough people who will let their kids get them in our rural area. The current rumor going around is that the shot is being used for population control and takes away your fertility. Not even joking. When the teens come through the county clinic, they do need consent from parents if they are under 18. I worked at a clinic last week and one parent didn't come with his kid for the second shot so they had to call him and he came and signed the paperwork. In some instances they were able to do verbal consent over the phone if needed.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Ours hasn't done a clinic for the school, as I don't think there are enough people who will let their kids get them in our rural area. The current rumor going around is that the shot is being used for population control and takes away your fertility. Not even joking. When the teens come through the county clinic, they do need consent from parents if they are under 18. I worked at a clinic last week and one parent didn't come with his kid for the second shot so they had to call him and he came and signed the paperwork. In some instances they were able to do verbal consent over the phone if needed.
    Parents on ds1's university page sometimes parrot that fertility thing too. I want to know where that started? What source was able to get that idea spread?

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Parents on ds1's university page sometimes parrot that fertility thing too. I want to know where that started? What source was able to get that idea spread?
    I shared that the rumor with the head of the health department so they could do a myth debunking message on it. She said she heard it circulating at the very beginning and it came from an anti-vax group she thought. In our small town a nurse with the right last name is spreading it to her teenage daughter's friends and everyone believed her because of who she is.

ETA: I try to stay out of FB discussions about this kind of stuff, but someone posted the other night that it was all about population control and that they couldn't believe we were allowing kids to get this shot because it's known to cause fertility issues and that his daughter would not be getting it because she wanted to have kids. I simply responded with "Can you please explain the science behind how this vaccine affects fertility?" To which I got "Well, I read online it does." Yep, that's a great resource to base your opinion on.
    Last edited by MSWR0319; 05-04-2021 at 12:05 PM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    One of the Disinformation Dozen, probably.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast