Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Ours hasn't done a clinic for the school, as I don't think there are enough people who will let their kids get them in our rural area. The current rumor going around is that the shot is being used for population control and takes away your fertility. Not even joking. When the teens come through the county clinic, they do need consent from parents if they are under 18. I worked at a clinic last week and one parent didn't come with his kid for the second shot so they had to call him and he came and signed the paperwork. In some instances they were able to do verbal consent over the phone if needed.
    I’ve heard this same rumor from highly educated parents - MBA and law degrees.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Ours hasn't done a clinic for the school, as I don't think there are enough people who will let their kids get them in our rural area. The current rumor going around is that the shot is being used for population control and takes away your fertility. Not even joking. When the teens come through the county clinic, they do need consent from parents if they are under 18. I worked at a clinic last week and one parent didn't come with his kid for the second shot so they had to call him and he came and signed the paperwork. In some instances they were able to do verbal consent over the phone if needed.
    My niece is 20 and just got into the nursing program at her school. So, heavy in biology classes, etc. She told me all about how she isn't sure she'll get this vaccine because it might mess with her fertility. Do you know how pissed I was? Thankfully, I was able to pull some of the information people have posted here to show her how that rumor is not plausible based on what we've seen so far, and hopefully it got through to her.

ETA: not only is she in school to become a nurse, her parents are both pharmacists and her step mom is a nurse. (I know her dad & step mom have been vaccinated, but I don't know about her mom.) So, this kid is surrounded by medical people and STILL came up with that reasoning.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    My niece is 20 and just got into the nursing program at her school. So, heavy in biology classes, etc. She told me all about how she isn't sure she'll get this vaccine because it might mess with her fertility. Do you know how pissed I was? Thankfully, I was able to pull some of the information people have posted here to show her how that rumor is not plausible based on what we've seen so far, and hopefully it got through to her.

ETA: not only is she in school to become a nurse, her parents are both pharmacists and her step mom is a nurse. (I know her dad & step mom have been vaccinated, but I don't know about her mom.) So, this kid is surrounded by medical people and STILL came up with that reasoning.
    DH came down from his office for lunch and just told me one of his coworkers tried to get involved in a vaccine conversation. He was going on and on about how unsafe they were and if healthcare workers didn’t get them, why would anyone else. They know more than anyone. His wife and daughter are both nurses at hospitals and didn’t get them. His daughter wanted to preserve her fertility because if she got the shot she couldn’t have more kids. We’ve known this family for years and they don’t get flu shots either so it doesn’t surprise me that they wouldn’t get the shot, but their reasonings don’t hold up. I just want to bang my head on the table listening to it. I just don’t get it. And I also don’t want them as my nurses if they think they’re so much smarter than me because they didn’t get the shot and I did.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Parents on ds1's university page sometimes parrot that fertility thing too. I want to know where that started? What source was able to get that idea spread?
    I posted about this is another thread, but this details the beginnings. https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid...to-infertility
    Last edited by specialp; 05-04-2021 at 01:55 PM.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just FWIW - I drove DD(17) to her first appt, but she went in by herself. They asked if I was there; she said in the car and they were fine with that. She's (coincidentally) driving herself to her second this afternoon. If asked she will say I'm in the car again (yeah not a big fan of lying but it's also 2.5 hours round trip and ... yeah) or have them contact me - but both of us assume that since she's had her first consent is assumed.

Having said that - she had her well child a couple weeks ago. Needs two vaccines but has to wait two weeks post second COVID vax. We had to wait while they checked if I could even sign consent in advance, then for them to find the form, then for 'right' person to bring it to me to sign. Was interesting timing to me. (She's stopping by on way to school. And oddly til recently was TERRIFIED of shots but is able to handle on her own better than having someone with her. I'm totally fine if this gets her to do them! Also helped that she had some dental work done recently and weaned from full dose of Halcion + laughing gas down to just laughing gas for multiple shots over three appointments.)
    Last edited by erosenst; 05-04-2021 at 02:52 PM.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by erosenst View Post
    Just FWIW - I drove DD(17) to her first appt, but she went in by herself. They asked if I was there; she said in the car and they were fine with that. She's (coincidentally) driving herself to her second this afternoon. If asked she will say I'm in the car again (yeah not a big fan of lying but it's also 2.5 hours round trip and ... yeah) or have them contact me - but both of us assume that since she's had her first consent is assumed.
    I went with DS1 for the first one because I scheduled it at the same time as my second shot I then scheduled his second and DS2's first on the same day. They were only 20 min away, though, and DH took them to that one. Kind of hoping the EUA for younger ones comes through so I can get DS3 and DS2 together.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had to be there with DS1 (17). I found it highly ironic because I couldn't make his appointment for him online due to privacy issues but my presence was required for him to get the shot. I think parents should be consulted for their minor children.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think the school clinic idea is fine but the parents of minors should have to sign, just like they would with other things minors need parental consent for.

Also, Are any of these same people who are so concerned about the fertility thing also concerned about the lifestyle choices they make that can affect fertility, like our country’s blood sugar problems, abundance of processed food and sugar added to every darn thing you buy, and the hormone disrupting chemicals that are in everything we put in and on our bodies? Didn’t think so.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Also, Are any of these same people who are so concerned about the fertility thing also concerned about the lifestyle choices they make that can affect fertility, like our country’s blood sugar problems, abundance of processed food and sugar added to every darn thing you buy, and the hormone disrupting chemicals that are in everything we put in and on our bodies? Didn’t think so.
    Good one! I'm using that the next time this argument comes up.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD is 17, she qualified as a city worker 6 weeks ago, but I had to physically be present at the clinic run by the county health dept. I was surprised as I figured over 16 was good enough to consent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast