Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our HS is doing one. I live in a pretty red area, near rural towns. I am doubting a big turnout, but fingers crossed. You do need a signed consent and they said parents are encouraged to attend, but not mandatory.

nfceagles is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I volunteered at my DS’s high school clinic. They required parent permission form for <18s. They didn’t fill all the slots with student’s so opened it up to the public and still had slots left over but we’re in a pretty high vax rate community so I think it had more to do with scheduling and parents having already started the vax elsewhere. DS is only 15 so he couldn’t go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am all for a high school vaccine clinic, or any vaccine clinic where shots come to arms. We are at a point in vaccinations where most people who REALLY want one are fully or partially vaccinated. The logistics of scheduling and appointments can be a chore, but some would be quick to roll up their sleeves if it were easy. Not to mention, social pressure comes into play and if a friend were asked to tag along, it may also encourage more vaccinations. Since the average age of cases is falling, it only makes sense to hit the younger population. I haven't heard of any in our area but DS1 is 15 so we are waiting for the magic EUA, hopefully next week!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Our school district did a survey of parents for potential interest, but that was back in late March. They did do a clinic for any student 16+ in district first shots this past weekend and then second shots in three weeks. There were parental permission slips to complete but a parent did not have to be there in person.

I just double checked the signup and it looks like they only had 20-ish open slots out of over 700.

But our district also has 30,000 students. Not exactly sure how many would be 16+ out of that pool.

I was happy to see the slots were filled though. I know I had responded expressing interest but was able to get my 17 year old in at a clinic run by the local children's hospital in between the interest survey and the clinic being scheduled. He is 4 weeks ahead of these students.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    I think the school clinic idea is fine but the parents of minors should have to sign, just like they would with other things minors need parental consent for.
    I agree. I would be livid if my minor child were vax without my consent. But I like the idea of doing it at schools. So many families have transportation issues. Or scheduling issues. Having a parent be able to get their child vax without having to take time off from work could be a huge thing for many low income communities.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I agree. I would be livid if my minor child were vax without my consent. But I like the idea of doing it at schools. So many families have transportation issues. Or scheduling issues. Having a parent be able to get their child vax without having to take time off from work could be a huge thing for many low income communities.
    I'm hugely pro Covid vax and I would even be livid if consent weren't required for my kid.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    I went with DS1 for the first one because I scheduled it at the same time as my second shot I then scheduled his second and DS2's first on the same day. They were only 20 min away, though, and DH took them to that one. Kind of hoping the EUA for younger ones comes through so I can get DS3 and DS2 together.
    She just got back from second. They didn’t even ask. But great it worked out, and was close, for you.

Funny is that a good friend of DD got hers
    same day at same “far away” place. Think a lot is exactly when you signed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since a lot of people commented about the parental consent part, I looked it up. It turns out my state has a state statute saying that any person age 16 or older may consent to routine, emergency, medical, or surgical care. So that is probably why parental consent is not required for 16 and 17 year olds to get vaccinated here, but is in many of your locations. This was addressed on our department of health’s COVID vaccination FAQ page.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Since a lot of people commented about the parental consent part, I looked it up. It turns out my state has a state statute saying that any person age 16 or older may consent to routine, emergency, medical, or surgical care. So that is probably why parental consent is not required for 16 and 17 year olds to get vaccinated here, but is in many of your locations. This was addressed on our department of health’s COVID vaccination FAQ page.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This makes sense. Here we had to consent for DS to get the vaccine

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Good one! I'm using that the next time this argument comes up.
    Some people in our large circle of friends had been pushing essential oils for every ache under the sun. They claimed EO could cure cancer. I got so tired of them pushing them on me. Recently friends of theirs whose kids hang around mine said they weren’t sure they wanted their kids hanging around with mine because Ds1 is vaxxed. They heard that whatever harmful things are n the vax can be shed to bystanders. Not the virus being shed, the VACCINE being shed. The father of this family is a dentist.

Unfortunately the crazy parents have affected their kids’ thinking too (don’t we all?). One of their kids was forwarding on the sources of this information to Ds1. I was proud of Ds1. He read through it looking for the source of the statistics. The article referred to another website that self-referred. It never linked to any proper study. Ds1 tried to tell his friend that but it didn’t get him anywhere. We joked that we should tell them that all of this can be cured anyway with some essential oils.

As far as I know, there are no vax clinics setting up in high schools in our area. I agree with pp though, that I’d be livid if someone tried to vax my underage kid without my consent. If I’m legally responsible for their care and well-being, then the choice should MINE. No one can advocate for my kids’ well-being better than me.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast