Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Some people in our large circle of friends had been pushing essential oils for every ache under the sun. They claimed EO could cure cancer. I got so tired of them pushing them on me. Recently friends of theirs whose kids hang around mine said they weren’t sure they wanted their kids hanging around with mine because Ds1 is vaxxed. They heard that whatever harmful things are n the vax can be shed to bystanders. Not the virus being shed, the VACCINE being shed. The father of this family is a dentist.

Unfortunately the crazy parents have affected their kids’ thinking too (don’t we all?). One of their kids was forwarding on the sources of this information to Ds1. I was proud of Ds1. He read through it looking for the source of the statistics. The article referred to another website that self-referred. It never linked to any proper study. Ds1 tried to tell his friend that but it didn’t get him anywhere. We joked that we should tell them that all of this can be cured anyway with some essential oils.
    Ok, i thought I had heard it all, but ... shedding vaccine?! Yikes!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Ok, i thought I had heard it all, but ... shedding vaccine?! Yikes!

I just heard the shedding story the other day. There’s a private school in FL that told their teachers they can’t come back to work if they got the shot and if they haven’t they need to wait till school’s out so the students don’t get exposed to the shedding vaccine.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I just heard the shedding story the other day. There’s a private school in FL that told their teachers they can’t come back to work if they got the shot and if they haven’t they need to wait till school’s out so the students don’t get exposed to the shedding vaccine.
    Yes, that story is crazy! A 5th grade teacher at the school told students not to hug their parents if they are vaccinated due to shedding of harmful stuff. The owner of the school also believes that vaccine shedding has been linked to thousands of women becoming infertile. It’s crazy what some people will believe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve heard of anti-vax people being afraid of vaccines shedding and not wanting to be around someone who had the flu vax (but obviously the flu is fine, just not shedding from the vaccine.). There is zero scientific evidence to back up their claims.

No vaccine clinics at high schools here. But our county has said they will vaccine 12-15 the moment emergency authorization is granted. So I’ll take DD somewhere immediately. I’ve already researched which local pharmacies have Pfizer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think the conversation about medical consent is an important one. At the age of 18 they sign their consents and you don’t have access to their medical records. Some states limit access to a child’s medical record after 14, for good reasons. Since we are talking about kids >16 right now this should be a wake up call to talk to your kids now about consents, medical privacy and advanced directives. They can be legally signed at 18. I talked to my son and when he turned 18 I had him fill out his health care proxy form. Some parents have their 18 yo sign HIPPA forms so they can have access to their medical records. I am not an advocate of that, but that’s between you and your adult child.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yup, they did it at our school. We are in a high trump area, so unfortunately access to vaccine has not been a problem. However, so many people have conspiracy theories. My 17 year old already got the vax before the school's clinic. I have a 15 and 11 year old, who will get the vaccine as soon as there is approval for their age groups. 11 year old turns 12 in July... so he will probably be the last one in our family to get it due to his age.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Since a lot of people commented about the parental consent part, I looked it up. It turns out my state has a state statute saying that any person age 16 or older may consent to routine, emergency, medical, or surgical care. So that is probably why parental consent is not required for 16 and 17 year olds to get vaccinated here, but is in many of your locations. This was addressed on our department of health’s COVID vaccination FAQ page.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just saw the local news coverage about the vaccination clinic at the high school in the town where my family lives. There is a registration process, and the article says "parents are asked to provide approval via the registration form for student participation." Note, no mention of consent or what happens if parents do not "approve."

That HS clinic will also vaccinate parents — not sure if all the HS clinics do. My impression is that the state's vaccination efforts have been a mix of state-run mass vaccination clinics, pharmacy-based vaccinations that draw from the federal vaccine supply, plus various other providers. Everyone in in my family (except 9 y.o. DGD2) has had at least a first dose, but the process of finding and signing up for appointments has been confusing, which may be why the HS clinics are opening up to parents too.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Just saw the local news coverage about the vaccination clinic at the high school in the town where my family lives. There is a registration process, and the article says "parents are asked to provide approval via the registration form for student participation." Note, no mention of consent or what happens if parents do not "approve."

That HS clinic will also vaccinate parents — not sure if all the HS clinics do. My impression is that the state's vaccination efforts have been a mix of state-run mass vaccination clinics, pharmacy-based vaccinations that draw from the federal vaccine supply, plus various other providers. Everyone in in my family (except 9 y.o. DGD2) has had at least a first dose, but the process of finding and signing up for appointments has been confusing, which may be why the HS clinics are opening up to parents too.

Here's a quote from a local news article on the issue:

"A person age 16 or 17 may sign a vaccination consent form on their own and they do not need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian to receive their dose, according to the R.I. Department of Health. This means parental consent forms are not necessary, which has some parents concerned."

The article does mention they will vaccinate family members age 16 and older too, as you said. DH and I got our vaccines (I've had both doses, DH gets his second in a week and a half) at one of the state-run mass vaccination clinics, but I know a lot of people who've gone to CVS, Walgreens, or Walmart for theirs. DH wanted to get his, but probably would have waited until they opened up to walk-ins if I hadn't scheduled an appointment for him, because he wouldn't have taken the time to figure out the system. I imagine they're trying to make it easier for people like him to get vaccinated!
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our HS has one. All parents had to sign consent for their child to receive the vax.

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Here's a quote from a local news article on the issue:

"A person age 16 or 17 may sign a vaccination consent form on their own and they do not need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian to receive their dose, according to the R.I. Department of Health. This means parental consent forms are not necessary, which has some parents concerned."

The article does mention they will vaccinate family members age 16 and older too, as you said. DH and I got our vaccines (I've had both doses, DH gets his second in a week and a half) at one of the state-run mass vaccination clinics, but I know a lot of people who've gone to CVS, Walgreens, or Walmart for theirs. DH wanted to get his, but probably would have waited until they opened up to walk-ins if I hadn't scheduled an appointment for him, because he wouldn't have taken the time to figure out the system. I imagine they're trying to make it easier for people like him to get vaccinated!
    Yes, I remembered your previous post that parental consent is not required, which is why I was particularly interested in the wording of "parental approval." Wonder how many parents will assume these are the same thing? In any case, the HS clinics sound like a good way to get parents vaccinated too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast