Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What age to start shaving

For those with girls- what age did they start shaving under their arms? Any issues with starting pretty early? Any favorite razors for young girls? TIA

DD was 11 I think. My niece started at 10. We used Venus razors with lots of blades. No issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 05-04-2021 at 01:25 PM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Whenever they ask to, would be my answer.
    My annoying big sister told me that if I shaved my legs it would instantly get dark and coarse. Well, I was blonde hair, blue eyed to her brown hair, dark eyes so we just have different genes. 30+ years later and my leg hair is still blonde. I was really self conscious about not shaving that summer when she put me off on it and I shouldn't have bothered listening to her.
    +1 to Venus razors

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Middle is 12, but not very hairy, so we've only had conversations. I've shown her where everything she'll need is, and discussed that we can sit in swimsuits on the side of the tub while I show her what to do if she'd like, but she hasn't shown any interest yet. With that said, we started having the conversations pretty young so that if and when she wanted to, she could.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dd1 started shaving her armpits, legs, and bikini line at 12 iirc. She asked me if it was okay. Dd2 was 10 and did it one day last fall on her own without asking. I didn’t get mad (as tbh I did the same thing when I was 11 and my mom got mad at me....even though we had gone to the store and bought razors!) and figured it was a lost cause. Dd2 is very self conscious about body hair and it is dark so I understand why she did it. She has no armpit hair yet and no visible pubic hair on her bikini line. She has tried to shave her own eyebrows recently (she has a dark brown unibrow and really needs to start getting it waxed soon) so I had to take away her razor and when she needs it she can ask me for it. I think she shaves her legs about once a month and she hasn’t asked for her razor back yet but probably will soon.

Both girls and myself use Venus razors with 3 or 5 blades (depends on what is on sale at Costco).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-04-2021 at 02:00 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I agree with the whenever they ask answer. I remember begin 10 and having a lot of dark hair on my legs and being really embarrassed about it and borrowing my mom's razor to shave. She didn't think I needed to, but I was really bothered by the hair. I don't remember exactly when I started shaving under arms and bikini line -- but sometime between 10-12. Personally I don't like Venus razors and much prefer Schick Quattro, but I think any decent quality razor is probably fine. If you have one you like, get her a handle that will take the same blades so you don't have to keep track of stocking 2 different kinds.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I highly recommend the BILLIE razors (for you and your DD), you can get a starter kit for about 9 dollars, and then order the replacement blades at the frequency you want. I used to get Schick quattro/hydro etc but these are as good and much much cheaper and I feel last longer.They also come with a handy triangle magnet that holds it, super convenient. I have recommended to friends with younger DD's and they all say how it's an easy razor to handle and also the packaging is cute too.

DD is a swimmer, and was also quite hairy at a young age, so around 9 she needed to shave. Her arms and legs were coated in hair and putting on sunscreen was awful so she shaved her arms/legs even before her underarms/bikini area (swim team suits tend to be high cut).

DD is 9.5 and doesn't shave anything yet- no armpit hair and hasn't mentioned shaving her legs. I will let her shave when she asks. She is a competitive gymnast and lives in a leotard so I'm guessing she will shave as soon as hair sprouts under her arms.

DD has several friends who have been shaving under their arms for months. They have darker hair. One gets it waxed.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree to let them start when they wanted. I remember being oblivious when I was 11yo until one day a neighbor kid pointed out the beginning of dark hair under my arms and made me self conscious. I started shaving that day.

Dd is 13 and still doesn’t have armpit hair yet which is weird because she started her period and puberty has taken over everything else (including her attitude). I asked her recently if she wanted to start shaving and she said no, she doesn’t think she needs to. Her arm and leg hair is blond, lucky girl, so it doesn’t really show up. I’ll just follow her lead, I guess.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I second the recommendation for Billie razors, DD and I both use them. I just let DD start whenever she wanted. I think I put a Venus razor in her xmas stocking around age 10, I honestly don't know when she started using it though. She's 16 and has pretty light hair, I don't think she shaves very often, despite being on the swim team year round.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast