Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think the neighbors should figure out a better pest control that a cat, our apt complex in San Diego put out rat traps, the black kind, if you have that big of a rat problem I would definitely look at that.

I am surprised coyotes didn't get to the cat all those years, coyotes are everywhere and pretty good hunters.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I think the neighbors should figure out a better pest control that a cat, our apt complex in San Diego put out rat traps, the black kind, if you have that big of a rat problem I would definitely look at that.

I am surprised coyotes didn't get to the cat all those years, coyotes are everywhere and pretty good hunters.
    ITA. Between coyotes and cars, outdoor cats are not encouraged. Plus if a neighbor puts out any pest poison, an outdoor cat could get into it. There is no predicting if a cat will be cuddly and sweet or more independent.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No to an outdoor cat. Our neighbors have 1 and there is another creeping about as well. They pee in my flower beds and dig up my flowers/mulch. So annoying!

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    No to an outdoor cat. Our neighbors have 1 and there is another creeping about as well. They pee in my flower beds and dig up my flowers/mulch. So annoying!
    YES!!! I don't have pets primarily because i don't wish to clean up any body's poop. So finding cat poop in our planters is so awful!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

When we moved into our neighborhood 12 years ago, there were three cats that roamed our neighborhood. There is still one original from that group and about five years ago, our neighbor got another outdoor cat. I am pretty sure that our cats keep the mouse, rat and snake populations down, and I would definitely get another outdoor cat if something happened to our two. There are coyotes in the area (I can hear them (howling/screaming?) at night and I have seen them during the day within a mile of our house. I live on a culdesac and my next door neighbor has a creek in his backyard, so I have seen many animals (raccoons, groundhogs, possum, rabbits, turtles) traipse through my backyard. Somehow, the cats have survived.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’ll be an outlier and say yes to the outdoor cat. We have known quite a few over the years and the pros outweigh the cons for us.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with those who say to get an adult cat that is used to being outdoors (feral or close to it) if you want an outdoor cat. And make sure it's been fixed.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I live in a semi-rural area. People move here all the time, let their cats outdoors and the they go missing. A lot of them wind up eaten or in fight with some wild animal. I personally would not feel comfortable bringing a kitten into that situation. Kittens usually find homes. I would consider bringing a rescue that was mostly and outside or semi feral home since you would be providing them with a home.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

First, I'm so sorry for your loss of Rascal. Losing a pet is hard.

In general, I am frustrated my outdoor cats. In my old neighborhood, many people had outdoor cats that would routinely use my gardens and yard as their litter box and areas to dig. I found it so frustrating and disrespectful -- I pick up after my dogs EVERY time they poop and never leave for a walk without poop bags, and ensure my dogs are only ever in my own yard....so why are my neighbors allowed to let their cats poop in and destroy my space? However, as it sounds like your neighbors are actually ASKING you to get a cat, I'll cede this point in your situation!

If your DH has allergies, it's really unfair to pressure him to accept an indoor cat. Allergies can be so incredibly miserable - I know several people with cat allergies and they're ROUGH. To allow a cat in your house means your DH would have no escape from his allergies. It's not like it would be easy to confine the cat to one place in your house, either -- even if you tried, I think with so many people in your house and as good at cats are as sneaking around, it's bound to happen that the cat will go where it wants. So, indoor cat should be completely off the table.

Given the critters in your area, a kitten that starts its life outdoors sounds like a bad plan, as does trying to "convert" an indoor cat into an outdoor one. The barn yard cat program others have mentioned (or finding a cat that's already been living outdoors) does sound like a great plan, though! I think the mindset that the animal is more of a working animal (rat deterrent) instead of a family pet is probably important, though. If you think this will be too hard on your heart (to have a "pet" that isn't indoors or isn't necessarily going to be super lovable) to go this route, that's understandable though! Just like I think it's fair for DH to be pretty forceful about no cat inside, I think it's fair for you to be pretty forceful about no outdoor cat either, if it will be too hard for you to handle.

The rat problem sounds pretty awful - I would think there are some other options besides a cat or poison to try -- maybe it's worth consulting with a good pest company on other options. Around me there's a pest company that focuses on eco-friendly pest removal (more about exclusion, changes in the outdoor space to make it less hospitable and nice for the animals) rather than poison -- maybe something like that would have better options for you?
    Lizi

mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I volunteer at a rescue in our town and they have a "working cat" program, which is basically barn cats, feral cats, etc. that they trap, fix, and then adopt out as working cats. They are cats that will not do well indoors, and are used to being outdoors. There are a lot of rural farms, stables, etc. around here that love to adopt those cats and will provide them a dry place to sleep, and regular access to food and water. That kind of situtation sounds like it might work for you as well!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast