Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Covid mythbusters - fact or fiction?

I heard this yesterday at the pharmacy - not from an employee, but from what seemed to be a random person/customer who was speaking to those who had gotten shots but were in their "waiting time" after getting them.

#1 - if you have bad side effects, that's good because that means your body is making a strong resistance to the germ.

And #2 - if you have bad side effects, it's good that you got the shot because that means you were one of those who would have gotten really sick if not vaccinated.

Is there any truth to this? And how could they know?

(Please feel free to add any new "myths", though I think we've done the fertility one enough.)

In my group, I have noticed younger <46 more likely to report side effects and women more likely to have side effects vs. their similarly aged husbands. That's discussed in there, too, but I also think those are the groups more likely to follow up and actually report it to the app. (That said, it was totally my household. DH didn't feel well, but I was flattened.)

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've heard that people who havr had covid get a more aggressive response to the vaccine. I don't know why that would be and it doesn't seem to be true for everyone-- my parents both had it and my dad got sick for a few days after the shot but not my mom.
    Your #2 seems impossible for someone to say either way.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There is some evidence that those with a stronger immune response do have more symptoms, but it doesn't mean that those who don't are protected any less.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...some-prefer-it

DH was jealous that I felt like crap after my second one and tried to tell me that he must have gotten a placebo

I've heard #2 but I haven't seen any studies that have proven that.

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had a horrible week with covid and I also had the same fever, aches, and headache with the vaccine. My husband had minor symptoms with covid and the same for the vaccine.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post

And #2 - if you have bad side effects, it's good that you got the shot because that means you were one of those who would have gotten really sick if not vaccinated.
    Similar to this one, I heard the myth that if you don't have side effects from the vax then you would likely have been an asymptomatic spreader if you contracted COVID.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by specialp View Post
    In my group, I have noticed younger <46 more likely to report side effects and women more likely to have side effects vs. their similarly aged husbands. That's discussed in there, too, but I also think those are the groups more likely to follow up and actually report it to the app. (That said, it was totally my household. DH didn't feel well, but I was flattened.)
    My DH and I fit the bill, we both had no symptoms after our first shot and I had much more severe symptoms than DH after the 2nd and I read the referred to the same nytimes link when I was curious about this.

What I understood is, the intensity of your symptoms isn’t a definitive indicator of what your immune system is up to internally, so none of these conclusions can be drawn 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH had a much milder response to moderna than me, both times. The first time he was still working out doing everything as normal, but the second time he had mild fever and chills for 12 hours.
    The first time I had arm pain and fatigue. Second time fever, headache, and fatigue for 2 days so far (I just got my second dose). It’s so weird because we’ve been taking all these precautions to prevent infections, so this is the first time I’m really getting sick since Covid, aside from allergies.

DH had the J&J with very little reactogenicity - slight fatigue that night. I had Pfizer, no reaction after the first and about 24 hours of achiness and fatigue. I've talked to several other couples with similar responses.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast