Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

At our house we've been all over the map.

I never had Covid. Nothing but a sore arm after dose 1 of Moderna. A sore arm, chills/fever, nausea, body aches for 24-30 hours beginning about 10 hours post shot 2. I'm 50.

DH had Covid in January and was symptomatic but not super ill. He had a sore arm both times, but no other reactions to Moderna. He's 49.

DD never had Covid. She had a sore arm both times and a killer headache and fatigue after dose 2 of Moderna. She's 18.

DS1 maybe had Covid in September (tested positive with a rapid that was never confirmed with a PCR, no antibodies, mild cold like symptoms that I also had at the same time despite testing negative with a PCR twice). He had a mildly sore arm with Pfizer 1 (he's 16) and had dose 2 today and so far feels fine.

My mom who is 77 had nothing but a sore arm with both doses of Moderna. Same for my 74 year old in laws, one of whom had Pfizer and one Moderna. None of them had Covid.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH had heard this, but I don't think it's the case.
    It's my hypothesis that your reaction correlates to your genetics - if your parents react to dose 2 of a 2-dose series, you probably will as well.

DH and I both had Pfizer; we've completed our 2-dose series.
    ILs both had Moderna; they've completed their 2-dose series.
    My parents both had Pfizer; they've completed their 2-dose series.

DH had GI issues, fatigue, body aches, chills, and possibly a mild fever after his 2nd dose. This cleared within 24 hours.
    I had joint aches, fatigue, arm soreness, and swollen lymph nodes on the same side as my injection. This cleared within 36 hours (I was also running my "normal" schedule because it was a Tuesday - got up early to feed DD breakfast, supervised remote 5th grade, etc.) and I thought hydrating helped.
    DH is 46 and I've just turned 43.

ILs had similar symptoms to DH with their 2nd doses. They're both 75.

My parents didn't have any side effects they felt worth mentioning beyond arm soreness. Since my mother has arthritis, I don't think she would've noticed new joint aches and my father's the same (arthritic hip due to gait issues resulting from his clubfoot surgeries; his hip was replaced in 2018, but he'd had decades of "suck it up and deal" attitude towards pain, so I never know.)

While I know these are anecdotal examples, I'm still curious - what determines a person's reaction? I don't think it's COVID diagnosis. (I mean, could there be a relationship? Maybe, but that'd require a better study than just tallying anecdotes online or sending out a survey to the general public without accounting for misreporting errors and the unreliability of memory in the face of pandemic fatigue and/or anxiety.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    While I know these are anecdotal examples, I'm still curious - what determines a person's reaction? I don't think it's COVID diagnosis. (I mean, could there be a relationship? Maybe, but that'd require a better study than just tallying anecdotes online or sending out a survey to the general public without accounting for misreporting errors and the unreliability of memory in the face of pandemic fatigue and/or anxiety.)
    I would love it if they could figure it out. I'm just so curious about it. My dad, my mom, myself and DH all had Pfizer. My dad reacted on day 3 to Pfizer with a low grade fever, aches, chills, and just overall crappy feeling. He slept the day away and then was fine the next day. No reaction to shot 2. DH felt slightly tired with the second shot and maybe slightly achy that night, but was fine when he woke up. My mom had no symptoms. Shot 1 I felt like I was catching a cold for about 3 hours and then it went away. I felt like crap about 18 hours in with my second shot. Very achy everywhere (even the arches of my feet hurt!) and just wanted to lay on the couch. I could have functioned if I had to, but I didn't need to so I didn't exert too much energy. My sister had Moderna and had no symptoms. DH's mom had Moderna and only got a swollen lymph node. I'm 39, DH is 43, and my sister is 35. It's just so weird! DS tends to take after me in most aspects of his life so I'm interested in seeing how he reacts when they approve it for 12-15 year olds.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm 46, had Moderna. No reaction at all to dose 1. Had flu like symptoms from dose 2 that started about 12hrs after and lasted about 12hrs.

DH is 47, had Pfizer. No reaction to dose 1. After dose 2 he felt very thirsty for a day, but nothing else.

My mom is 73, had Moderna. No reaction to dose 1, horrible flu symptoms for about 12hrs after dose 2. Cold chills, major body aches, pounding headache.

My dad is 77, had Pfizer. No reaction to either dose.

ILs are both in their mid 70s. Both had Moderna. Neither had reactions to either dose, and my MIL claims to be highly sensitive to EVERYTHING, and yet she was fine.

Running buddy is 59. Had Moderna. No reaction to dose 1. Massive chills and headache 12hrs after dose 2. Her 60yr husband also had Moderna and had zero reaction. Her two 20-something children both had Moderna and both had flu like reactions to dose 2.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It’s so crazy the range and timing of reactions that are being reported! DH and I are getting 2nd dose of Moderna tonight and preparing to feel yucky all weekend. For shot 1, my arm instantly felt tight and sore after getting the shot. I was tired and aches the next day, but part of that may also be from helping DH to carry in our new dishwasher and carry out the old one. Noticed a swollen lymph node 2 weeks after that has not fully resolved yet. DH had slight soreness in his arm but was super exhausted, slept til noon the next day, installed the new dishwasher then fell asleep again. Slept late the next day and was achy.

My mom had very little reaction to Pfizer, same with my grandparents. My step-dad (70), had aches, chills, fever, and no appetite for 3 days after his second dose of Moderna. My SIL (younger than me) said she felt like she’d been run over by a bus for two days after second Moderna shot.

I too am curious about side effects in teens/tweens. Both of my girls will be eligible for the 12-15 yr. old one. The feel bad knowing they may feel sick after the shot, but I know it’s the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post

I too am curious about side effects in teens/tweens. Both of my girls will be eligible for the 12-15 yr. old one. The feel bad knowing they may feel sick after the shot, but I know it’s the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are much nicer than me. When my eldest was younger he was afraid of needles and very worked up about the HPV vaccine. I was completely not moved at all my his tears. It was just, and you have to wear your helmet on a bike and your seatbelt. Stop crying and get in the car. I think my nurse mom lack of empathy when the are what I think of as “you’ll be fine” has stopped everyone from whining at me in these circumstances. It appears to be an occupational risk when I talk to other nurses.

If it makes you feel better my 18 got sick for one day with Moderna, and not nearly as sick as me. I was sick as a dog for two days, and punky for a third. My 83 MIL didn’t have any reaction, and nothing so far with DH.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    You are much nicer than me. When my eldest was younger he was afraid of needles and very worked up about the HPV vaccine. I was completely not moved at all my his tears. It was just, and you have to wear your helmet on a bike and your seatbelt. Stop crying and get in the car. I think my nurse mom lack of empathy when the are what I think of as “you’ll be fine” has stopped everyone from whining at me in these circumstances. It appears to be an occupational risk when I talk to other nurses.

If it makes you feel better my 18 got sick for one day with Moderna, and not nearly as sick as me. I was sick as a dog for two days, and punky for a third. My 83 MIL didn’t have any reaction, and nothing so far with DH.
    Before you even said anything about it being a nurse thing, my thoughts were exactly that - it's the occupational hazard of being a nurse. I have no sympathy for my kids and shots and I've even sent a kid to school with a broken arm because, you know, you'll be fine. I am planning to vaccinate around a soccer tournament this weekend though if the EUA goes as expected so I'm not completely heartless
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Before you even said anything about it being a nurse thing, my thoughts were exactly that - it's the occupational hazard of being a nurse. I have no sympathy for my kids and shots and I've even sent a kid to school with a broken arm because, you know, you'll be fine. I am planning to vaccinate around a soccer tournament this weekend though if the EUA goes as expected so I'm not completely heartless
    My DS is 15, a total wuss. I told him my 90 year old patients in the nursing home can handle it he can too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    I'm not a nurse but I have no sympathy for my kids and shots. Sometimes I feel bad about it, but it's seriously just a shot! DS has been walking around with what we now suspect is a torn meniscus for 2 months because I thought it was just an aggravated injury (he dislocated the same knee 6 months ago and it does hurt sometimes now). I honestly just thought it was achy. DS never mentioned that it was different pain until the dr asked! I'm hoping he can get vaccinated Thurs if at all possible though so we can also work around soccer games.

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The leg aches (brutal) and the freezing coldness I had with Covid came back after 12 hours after shot 2. Next morning I was generally fine, although tired and beat up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast